Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 PM

Default Murfreesboro

I did a search for fishing around Murfreesboro and found a few old threads with some helpful info. I'll be spending two days in Murfreesboro at the end of this month (26th and 27th). I'm looking for advice on spending some time fishing. Looks like there are two good options to occupy my time on the W Fork of the Stones. Can anyone suggest some good patterns to go after the stocked trout or any other fish?

Also, any help on shops that carry fly gear? And any good reccomendations for places to take the wife to eat? She'll be taking the bar exam so I'm sure the first night will need to be someplace not so crowded. The second night will probably be a place to let her unwind. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:51 PM

I would contact David Perry at http://www.southeasternfly.com/.

I believe he lives in the area and feel sure he would give you some info on places to fish and eat. Good guy. Ties some awesome musky flies too!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM

I'll second David Perry and add that if you have the time and money and the tailwater flows allow, taking a float trip with him is well worth the time and money investment!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 PM

Thanks Gary and David. I'll try and get in touch with him. I'll only have a few hours in the morning and then again in the afternoon. I'll have to make sure and get her too and from her testing site and get some lunch. Will probably just stick to the West fork of the Stones River and try for some stocker trout or warm water species.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 AM

Eat at Toots. You won't regret it. Try the stones river. There's an old mill pond there and the creek below if you don't have time for a float. Lynn
Old 02-08-2013, 04:44 PM

A float is going to be out of the question for sure. Looks like my time will be in two sets. 9-12 and 1-4. After that will be tying flies in the hotel room and trying to keep my wife focused on passing this big test. More than likely I'll just try wading around at the Manson Pike Trailhead and avoid the crowds at Nice's Mill.

Can anybody offer some good patterns for stockers? All of my fly fishing has been for warm water species so I'm trying to happen into my first trout on the fly. Even if it is a stocker.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:06 PM

Try a woolly bugger with a peacock body, black tail and black hackle. Soft hackles will work too. I like a weighted pheasant tail with partridge for the soft hackle. Water temps are running pretty cool, so subsurface flies will probably be you best bet.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:34 PM

Good luck to the wife
Old 02-15-2013, 10:51 AM

Thanks Streamhound. She got moved to a test site in Memphis Now I'm going to have to try and find a city park or something to try and spend my time. Anyone want to join me as a body guard?!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:02 PM

Shoot me an email and I will either go with you or help you out on advice... tnflyfisher at yahoo

I have been killing them out at the Stones here recently. I stop counting after I hit 20 fish, which happens often.. It is a fun gig every winter to have some trout action only 20 minutes away... Have also landed some real nice fish so far this year that have now been feeding for the past few months and haven't found their way into a baitslinger's net. They love me btw... as I sit out in the middle of the river catching 30-40 fish and just let every one go back its merry way... I have almost been hooked in the waders a few times out of desperation to reach the mystery hole I must be fishing out of...

My bad... didn't see where your plans had changed until after. I would have been happy to put you on some trout. Stay out of any dark allies..

Tight Lines,