Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 PM

Very worthwhile feedback, Hooiser. Thanks.

I'd like to do another Elkmont KMZ. The JPEG used was approximately 700 (horizontal) x 500 pixels (vertical) at 72 pixels/inch. Coverage: about 2 x 1.5 miles. Should I up the resolution to something like 150 ppi? Feel free to suggest other changes. – JF
Old 02-10-2013, 09:25 AM

Worth a try.

Mind you again I am still figuring this out so I am not likely the best opinion out there but I wonder if there is a way to create a layer where the tracks and points of interest could be mapped on a clear overlay that when imported to a handheld device allows the overlay to rest on the already existing base map, topo or birdseye in your unit and those maps serve as the base layer to be the background.

I guess it could always be done as a series of tracks and waypoints but not sure that that is what you would want to put out there from a business perspective.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:53 PM

I think I follow. Sound to me to be practical goals.

For me to better grasp the basics I need to be able to see the results of my attempts at generating files. As it is I sorta feel as though I am bowling through a curtain.

I am hopeful I can get a much needed jumpstart on the subject in general using my Droid Razr. Please see the new thread "Need Help Re. Custom Maps for Android Phones".
Old 02-23-2013, 12:38 PM

Default Free KMZ for Android Devices - Limited Time Offer

It is not GPS handheld-worthy still, but some progress has been made in that direction.

I created a custom map of our subdivision using the Android CustomMaps app (www.custommapsapp.com). Using it's KMZ on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, I am able to observe my location coordinates and heading as I make my way from my man cave (excuse me) my office to the bathroom, an oft travelled path. More field testing planned today... I may venture out as far as my shed… armed, of course.

Mrs. Maps and I made some inroads into things last tonight using her iPad 2, but it's a steep learning curve for us older folks.

For Android device owners who are current LRO forum members, but just for a limited time, I will make you a free rough 1 mile x 1 mile test map of an area of your choosing that you can get to readily. To take advantage of this exclusive offer , e-mail me the coordinates of the approximate center point of the area as in this example: 35.855436,-83.811951 (No. 1 Green at Bays Mountain Golf Course in Seymour). For when your approach shot lands a half mile from the cup.

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-23-2013 at 04:34 PM..
Old 02-24-2013, 04:09 PM

Default Horseshoes Anyone?

Here is a test KMZ that works on my Andriod device:
abrams_horseshoe_sat3.kmz
Please someone, let me know if it does on your Garmin and any comments.

Caution: Even the best in GPS and night vision technology won't necessarily get you out of the "shoe" the same day if darkness falls on you. There's no camping there. There's awesome fishing, but some awfully slippery wading. I suggest that if you venture there do so at first light and with a buddy.

This is a scaled down version of the image used to create the KMZ.

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-25-2013 at 09:47 AM..
Old 12-07-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
JoeFred
Of the three maps the Elkmont map seemed to hold its resolution the best as I zoomed in but still fuzzy as I work in closer before my Topo US Maps take over as the primary view.

Hoosier, please try this larger KMZ.
http://www.smokystreams.com/mbdocs/below_elkmont_2.kmz

Thanks, JF