Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 PM

Default Animal Planet Special: "Wild Appalachia" Feb 19, 10 PM ET

Animal Planet "...has commissioned three "blue chip" wildlife documentaries about remote parts of the United States from Parthenon Entertainment. The three projects are the latest installments in the Bristol, UK-based prodco’s ‘Wild’ strand of natural history programs...", (one being "Wild Appalachia") which..."will delve into the forests of the Appalachian mountain region and its inhabitants..."
Source: http://realscreen.com/2012/05/31/ani...#ixzz2LJDWPmnE
I'm setting the over/under for mentions of "trout" at 1. (hope this isn't illegal)
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 PM

Thanks for letting us know, JoeFred! That's a great series. I'm really looking forward to watching it.

Pat
Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 AM

No problem, Pat.

I'm sure glad I didn't book the over/under on mentions of "fish" instead of just "trout." There were a few mentions of crayfish and several of "sardines." Please don't be alarmed that a invasive freshwater herring has been introduced to the park as the ones in the program were of the canned variety.

Just to prove my southern-hood, I refer to the freshwater lobsters as "crawdads."
Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 PM

How was the show overall? I didn't catch it and was wondering if it was worth looking up?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:31 PM

I thought is was nicely done. Great bear, elk, salamanders, cicadas, etc., and time-lapse footage of foliage changing color. Having had a pet 'coon as a kid, I liked that part best. The little bandit would follow me for about a quarter mile to Roberson Creek* to dine on crawdads. I will never forget the tactics and sounds. Once full, he would follow me back to the barn.

* Search Google Maps 36.326473,-83.05698
Old 02-20-2013, 04:38 PM

JoeFred,

That is a great story about the raccoon. I would have loved to seen that.

Reminded me about when i was a boy, Dad would always leave a bowl of dog food on our back porch facing the woods and feed 4 or 5 raccoons every night for years.

But, even though we would be sitting right inside the screen door if you would have tried to get close they would have eaten you up.

This was all way back in the day when things like that were not frowned upon.

I to stayed up to watch the Animal Planet show, even though my bed time is usually around 9 o'clock. It was worth it.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 PM

It was good, but they failed to mention the Sasquatch sightings. Finding Bigfoot is much more realistic.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 PM

enjoyed the show. found it to be the apex of commercialization of the smokies. was a great reminder of how special these appalachian moutains can be.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 PM

I'm glad it was good. I DVR'd it, but have yet had a chance to watch it. I need to finish watching the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Planet of the Apes movies before I get a chance to get to it.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:55 PM

Default How good could it...

...possibly have been I have not seen or heard of a single mention of "panthers" or "panters" (just couldn't resist)

Mike

Joe Fred, I have a friend that lived on a dairy and would milk the cows every morning when he was a kid growing up. They had an orphaned raccoon that they had rasied as a pet and he would stop by it's pen to let it out so it could go to the milking barn with him. One monring he woke up kinda late and as he got woithin sight of the barn, he could see that someone had already turned on the pull chain light, which also controlled a radio. He arrived in the barn to find that the raccoon had let itself out of the pen, gone to the barn, pulled the chain which turned on the light and radio and was now standing beneath the cows that had come to be milked and that we seeping milk already because the light and sound had triggered them to "let down". The raccoon was standing diligently beneath them licking up the milk as fast as it was seeping out
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton