Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 PM

Madison you are right about the redds, hopefully they hadn't started when the gates opened, and if they haven't than maybe they will be alright. Good news is with the feeder creeks running high I bet they are stacked with spawners.

Wilson, I like your drawing.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 AM

Actually,
The fluid dynamics are more like this illustration.

Also; if you look up/down stream right now you can notice a visible crown in the river due to the high volume/flow rate.

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-07-2013, 08:05 PM

Gentlemen, I'm impressed with the artwork! Thanks for the lesson. We'll just have to hope for the best regarding the redds.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:19 PM

Unhappy

Shawn-

You got the laminar flow dead on. Makes it difficult to get a "dead drift" when you're running a dry/dropper set up. Also, the eddies can drive you nuts when your fly starts going upstream, and the trout are facing downstream.

Thanks for the illustration.

Bill
Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 PM

My joke turned into a very useful lesson thanks guys.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:18 PM

Anyone heard when TVA is gonna slow her down?

My assumption would be March

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson10 View Post
Anyone heard when TVA is gonna slow her down?

My assumption would be March
Watch the flow curves and when they get it back inside the curve they will back it down
Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Watch the flow curves and when they get it back inside the curve they will back it down

Yeah; this about the best way to get an general idea. Then; you have to look at the upstream inflow data and take in account the amount or rainfall, etc.

Also; the water table is higher at the moment and they have to slowly cutback as to not create erosion problems.

I would expect that 1,000-1,002 would be a comfortable level for them to let up if we do not receive more abnormal rain events. It is starting to get closer to Mid-March when they need to focus on maintaining an adequate lake level to make it through statistically lower summer rainfall levels.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post

Yeah; this about the best way to get an general idea. Then; you have to look at the upstream inflow data and take in account the amount or rainfall, etc.

Also; the water table is higher at the moment and they have to slowly cutback as to not create erosion problems.

I would expect that 1,000-1,002 would be a comfortable level for them to let up if we do not receive more abnormal rain events. It is starting to get closer to Mid-March when they need to focus on maintaining an adequate lake level to make it through statistically lower summer rainfall levels.
I checked online today and it seems that the reservoir elevation (assuming that's what you were referring to) is nearing that 1,000 ft mark. The outflow is also projected to slow the next couple days.

Does this mean fishing soon or am I getting my hopes up prematurely? I know we're supposed to get a little rain this week as well so that may impact these projections some.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Fly Man View Post
I checked online today and it seems that the reservoir elevation (assuming that's what you were referring to) is nearing that 1,000 ft mark. The outflow is also projected to slow the next couple days.

Does this mean fishing soon or am I getting my hopes up prematurely? I know we're supposed to get a little rain this week as well so that may impact these projections some.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan, I am really not sure. I figured it would have started to cycle down quicker than it has...

That being said and looking at the overall tributary system operating guide; I would expect the operational level would reach normal levels by next Thursday or so...

However; I do think the current TVA operating data could be skewed by the last decade of maintaining higher-winter pool levels.