Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Photography

Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 PM

Question GoPro ~~ any opinions

Considering buying a GoPro Hero 2 Outdoors....wondering if any of you folks have used one, what your thoughts are about them..... my primary use would be to video my fly fishing trips.... I've read some good reviews and some bad ones as well....
Would appreciate any and all thoughts...
would consider buying a used one if anyone has one for sale..... Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM

fnfb-

Don't use one myself, but you might go to a website called OliviaTech.com. Olivia has reviews of all types of camera & video equipment. She makes her living as a photog. and cinematographer, and has access to a lot of equipment, some of it before it even hits the market. You should go to her website, and search for the GoPro. I've found her reviews to be factual, and unbiased. Scroll through her website, and you'll also find a lot of "tips & tricks" that are useful.

Bill
Old 02-20-2013, 03:29 PM

Thanks bill.......
Old 02-20-2013, 09:12 PM

My memory is not my strong suit, but I seem to remember a link someone posted to a video or two about fishing in South Carolina. One of the videos was of a lab swimming (I think trying to retrieve something) with the camera (a Hero) mounted on a radio-controlled model boat at dog's-eye level. It was a great shot! It sure made me think about getting one. Maybe someone on the forum will remember it.

Pat
Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 PM

fnfb-

What a coincidence! This is freaky! Olivia, on Oliviatech.com, posted a review today (Feb 21) regarding the GoPro Hero 2 and 3 video cams. Hope you get a chance to read her comments.

Bill
Old 02-21-2013, 07:30 PM

I was probably one of the biggest proponents of GoPro when it first came out. I have an HD2 and it is basically a piece of junk.

Well; if you want something that can video in a fish-eye (distorted) view from bicycle handle bars, mounted to kayaks, etc.; then this is probably ok.

It locks up all the time and the easy of use is horrible because you have to cycle through options by pushing one button.

The case is durable and will hold up underwater; but, I already have a crack in my lens mount.

Trust me on this one; there are far better compact/waterproof cameras at half the price that will shoot better video and pictures.

I would never recommend any of the current versions for fly fishing applications! Trust me; you will end up leaving this thing at home 90% of the time. A waterproof digital camera at half the price is more convenient to videoing and taking pictures on the water.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM

Lightbulb GoPro

Thanks Madison Boats...... it is good to hear from someons who has used one.........can you recommend a brand/model that you feel would be a better investment...? Thanks again..... Bob
Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofishbob View Post
Thanks Madison Boats...... it is good to hear from someons who has used one.........can you recommend a brand/model that you feel would be a better investment...? Thanks again..... Bob
I have a finepix right now that shoots great 1080p video and pictures. It is compact and fits well in jacket pockets or from a Lanyard. ~$150

LRO Forum member Breck posted about a Canon a while back in the forums. I have heard high praise from them. Also; they shoot great macro (close) shots with excellent color. I think the new model; D20 has the gps mapping as well.

One key quality I value is the compact and thin profile of a camera. I like to hang them from my vest so that I can quickly and easily take photos. The gopro does not allow you to do that unless you wear a tight fitting head strap or chest strap that gets in your way. Also; it is twice the thickness of similar camera; so, it does not store well in your vest. In addition; there is no lens protection. It is prone to scratch and the sun can bleach the iris by leaving it face up in a boat, car, etc.

I had an Olympus Tough; it lasted for about 2 years. It was a great camera; but, the seals finally gave way.

Pentax makes a very nice camera as well. A little more pricey; but, I think there are quality features to match the price.

The new thing in these cameras is GPS mapping. It allows you to use Google Maps, etc. to automatically map your picture's location-if you want. I am not sure that is a good idea for fishermen if you want everyone to know where you caught that big fish. I like to use it for macro-invertebrate (bug) mapping and floral pictures.

Hope this helps. Also; buy FAST memory card formats for better response time from your camera.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 PM

Default camera

Shawn, thanks for the recommendations...... I have a Panasonic TS3 which as of last year had better reviews and ratings than anything on the market at the time...... I want something that I can operate "hands free" and get some descent video while I'm fishing.... I looked at several models and some people swear by the Go Pro brand and some swear at it...... ?? one doesn't really know what to buy..... I guess if you get a good one you are fine ...if you get a bad one you are screwed !!!! .....I appreciate any input you or others can offer and I truly respect your opinion...... Thanks again Bob
Old 02-24-2013, 08:27 AM

..bob,
The GoPro is a good camera. It is great for outdoor use and easy to mount with the adapters to outdoor equipment. The fish-eye lens is great for panoramic video shots and to get the outdoor effect inside the video.

The remote control is another great feature. I currently use the timer function for photos and I just have to wing the videoing with waste footage. One thing to note; the GoPro batteries only last around 30 minutes of continuous recording time and for some odd reason; makes the whole case very hot. This has caused me some condensation issues in underwater video. To be objective; I would expect this to be industry standard for the model range.

If I were you; I would create a pros/cons list and weight your decision on objective needs. In hindsight; I still would have purchased my GoPro Hero2 after reading reviews such as my own. I guess I am the type of person that needs to validate it myself.