Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 02-27-2013, 02:34 PM

No experience with the NC side but either way, IMO for a (3)night/(4)day trip, just camp and fish. Worry about a loop trip when you have more time available and when weather conditions are more predictable, like late spring/early summer...

With that being said, if you just want to get into the backcountry and fish, I would second the recommendation to head up Little River above Elkmont. One of the best areas to fish on the TN side of the park and getting there is really quite easy when compared to other backcountry destinations. You could easily spend twice as long fishing that area without ever having to leave...

Tight Lines,
Old 03-11-2013, 03:56 PM

Tnflyfisher has been known to drive 5+ hours to meet a fellow angler on the Little River and catch dozens of trout between Huskey Branch and the bridge while it was snowing. (did I mention the other fellow only caught 2)?

23, 24, and 30 are all great spots, and to echo Tnflyfisher and David K, I'd think a base camp would be a good approach on a shorter trip like that.

-Matt-
Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 PM

23 and 30 are two of my all time favorite places to fish...especially 23. Goshen prong trail is one of the prettiest stream-side trails in the park IMO. Ive been to both sites multiple times and have only seen another camper or fisher once. There is just so much water fish. I will never stay at 24 again.

41 was nice too. Fishing was ok but I only stayed one day.

Ive stayed at most of the sites on Forney all of which offer good water to fish. I've always wanted to stay at 69...I'd be willing to bet it has some great fishing there too.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
Tnflyfisher has been known to drive 5+ hours to meet a fellow angler on the Little River and catch dozens of trout between Huskey Branch and the bridge while it was snowing.
This is what too much whiskey does to your memory.
If I remember correctly, it was barely over a dozen but I guess I should just keep my mouth shut...

Tight Lines,