Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-10-2013, 04:02 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post
Sorry about the hijack of the thread.

Breck
Looks to me you brought the post back from political rheteric to the subject of fishing I for one appreciate that.

Thanks for sharing your day on the water with your boys. I paddled Big Laurel Creek in NC yesterday, and noticed a ton of blue wing activity, and also some larger bug that I think were March Browns. Noticed during a swim that the water was still REALLY cold
Old 03-10-2013, 07:50 PM

Default Here Fishsy Fishy

Breck... a fantastic post by a fantastic dad. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I'm pretty much with you DP. As to any adverse affect this or future cutbacks, real or perceived, might have on Park fishing on future generations, officials would be hard pressed to diminish promoting it and even hiking to brook trout waters any more than has already occurred over the years. (May have been a small bump in '06?). I saw no more than two or three different books on the subject at Sugarlands VC Friday.

Except for that exhibited at better galleries in the region, even the imagery of this amazing wildlife is largely absent from the view of most park visitors. After painstakenly scrolling through scores of absolutely amazing photos by professionals "liked" at www.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainsAssociation, I found only two (2) of trout. They are perfectly framed and illuminated, colorful rainbows in streambeds presented at "Natures Photography by Valerie E Miller." (I commended Valerie via FB and asked if she has photographed any of the natives.) There is no fault on the part of the GSMA Facebook administrator that fish pics are pretty much MIA. (I've met her and she does a fantastic job). It's sorta hard to post pitchers what ain't been took yet.

Last edited by JoeFred; 03-10-2013 at 11:07 PM..
Old 03-10-2013, 07:59 PM

Default Dp

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Looks to me you brought the post back from political rheteric to the subject of fishing I for one appreciate that.

Thanks for sharing your day on the water with your boys. I paddled Big Laurel Creek in NC yesterday, and noticed a ton of blue wing activity, and also some larger bug that I think were March Browns. Noticed during a swim that the water was still REALLY cold

DP, lets make some plans!!!!

Breck
Old 03-14-2013, 10:38 PM

Default cutbacks

sorry about my original post--i was less than compassionate about the remarks made by politicians looking for votes,that was a mistake--we have the best national park system in the world--what a silly compromise,to change the subject of my post,just so we can forget the reason the National Park System was relentlessly established.The establishing days of the National Parks havelong since past,the Parks were founded as a reward for middle classed Americans,who worked hard,raised families,educated their kids,and died in distant wars..I guess,today,hiding your head in the sand is about values long since lost.....
Old 03-15-2013, 12:57 PM

Default This weekend

Anybody going fishing? I plan on going Sunday in the National Forest.

Dave
Old 03-15-2013, 05:55 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwardmba View Post
Anybody going fishing? I plan on going Sunday in the National Forest.

Dave
I haven't fished, but I boated Lower Abrams today, and saw the biggest blue wing hatch I have ever seen. Must have been 20+ thousand bugs sitting in the calmer water. I took some pics with the point and shoot and will post if they turn out.

Unfortunately I didn't see one fish rise I didn't take a temp reading but I would guess upper 40's.