Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 AM

Default Traveling Park Fishing Kiosk Being Considered

The economy is still slow, but hopefully sales will improve over in the next few weeks. If so, we might be able to justify purchasing a decent size All-In-One, Touch Screen PC to serve as the focal point of a free, self-service, Smoky Mountains fishing resources traveling kiosk at welcome centers and events in the region.

Before committing to the equipment cost and traveling expenses that would be involved, we desire to have our products and presentations critiqued by persons reasonably familiar with the park, surrounding outfitters, housing, etc. We would be interested in content and technical feedback, but also opinions on the affect such might have on attracting responsible park anglers.

Just throwing this out: If someone has access to a Touch-Screen All-In-One and wouldn't mind test driving a few PDF and Flash applications, we will gladly let you keep the products in appreciation of your help. If you've been considering buying one for your business or organization, those with 20" to 23" screens with 4GB+ memory, 500GB+ hard drive and Windows 8 are going for $500 to $750 at places like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, PC Connection, Amazon, etc.

The estimated time to peruse the apps and provide feedback via e-mail is from 2 to 6 hours total. If interested and/or you'd like more information, please send an e-mail to the address below including your real first and last names, town, LRO forum user name and the year you became a member of the forum. Questions of a non-confidential nature to further verify you are a real person and/or about the equipment you would be using may be asked of you.

Thanks – JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 03-12-2013 at 09:19 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 AM

Default On the other hand...

... renting an all-in-one with a touch screen (or just a touch screen monitor) is probably the way to go. Is there a place in Knoxville that rents such?
– JF
Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 AM

JoeFred,

The touch screen thing is what has held me back from updating to Windows 8. Big touch screen monitors are expensive right now, and all-in-ones tend to be slow. I don't want to give up a 25" monitor to have a fingerprint-encrusted 17" screen.

What might be more feasible for testing, and a lower initial cost would be a wireless stand alone touch pad.

I suspect there might be more people who have updated to Windows 8 but don't have a touch screen yet. Such a peripheral might be even be useful for your kiosk - bigger screen and save money; you'll just have to secure the pad to the kiosk so somebody doesn't accidentally leave with it.

See one of these for instance:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/touchpad-t650

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...0&Code=0C51641

Have we discussed my consulting fees lately?
-Matt-

Old 03-13-2013, 02:41 PM

JoeFred I think it is an interesting idea. I can see it working good at troutfest and other local festivals. Where else do you have in mind to park this giant trout shaped Winnebago?

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 03-13-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
J..
Have we discussed my consulting fees lately?
-Matt-

One word: Vaporware. There is gonna be a tailwaters digital set one of these days and your name is on one of them... and what was it again?
Good stuff. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
JoeFred I think it is an interesting idea. I can see it working good at troutfest and other local festivals. Where else do you have in mind to park this giant trout shaped Winnebago?
I like it, but I'm afraid it looks more like Cousin Eddie's at present.
Thanks for the encouragement!

– JF
Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 PM

Default Is Monetizing possible?

Fred,
How do you propose to monetize the project? Five years ago before we sold our CDL recruiting web sites we tried putting Kiosks in a half dozen Love and Pilot truck stops. Access was free to driving looking to change jobs—and most of them are. The only revenue we could generate was from delivery of job applications to trucking companies which they filled out at the Kiosk. We averaged about 300 apps a day and had about four dozen trucking companies who paid us $300 a month to get the apps sent to their personnel departments so they could make contact with prospective drivers.
The challenge we faced was selling the trucking companies on the cost of our service, and then collecting what they owed us. It is especially tough when big trucking companies out-source such decisions to ad agencies you have to deal with that want 20 percent off the top, then another pay out under the table.
If you can get your Kiosks in the park, I am confident that your idea will work in terms of getting traffic. Odds are you can drive easily quantified traffic to potential sponsors/advertisers. The fly in the ointment is, can you get enough potential sponsors/advertisers to shell out for the service. Unless you are a very gifted, natural-born salesman, monetizing projects like this—or Southern Trout--- is the tough part.I
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 PM

Thanks for asking, Don. We would have just the one set up and move it from place to place. Examples of what might be: Blount/Sevier/Cocke Co tourism welcome centers, events such as Troutfest and those hosted by fly shops, and, if approved as a program presenter, at a booth at Wilderness Wildlife Week in Pigeon Forge. I or someone would be stationed right along side the walkup. We would have some of our merchandise (for example, our new digital product) on hand for purchase to help offset travel and other costs, but we would naturally be available to answer questions and promote Trout Unlimited and fishing the Park. At some point, we might even have earned a few square feet at the Kodak Bass Pro Shop for the big spring event, maybe the new Cabelas coming to Bristol and, shucks, even the Orvis shop at Harrah's (Hey, Joe/Steve. Drop me a line.) Hey, a man needs to think big, right? As with our past modest marketing initiatives, we would hope to at least break even financially. I hate to leave on a negative note, but absent this type of mom and pop promotion such as yours and that of Ian and Charity, I foresee families fishing the Appalachians soon going the way of wild ginseng and morel harvesting.
– JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 03-14-2013 at 08:10 AM..
Old 03-14-2013, 09:22 AM

Ideal places would be Sugarlands VC and or Oconoluftee. The park may be willing if the kiosk didn't take up a lot of space and you donated anything you made from it back to the park. Of course it would cost you but maybe it would be some good free advertising to your map store.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM

Thanks, Adam. I excluded the Park visitor centers as possibilities for now, but I know from the reaction of more than one volunteer at Sugarlands and Sevierville (somewhat less so at 'Luftee), having our maps in any format within thier reach would be immensely helpful when they are asked questions about fishing. One gentleman who was wild about our wild trout stream maps told me all he had to work with was the free Park Service Fishing Regs and Map and to suggest the visitor purchase a book by Ian and Charity, Jim, H. Lea Lawrence, et al. I'm not one to boast, but with a visitor looking (for free) at one of our maps, taking the free brochure and buying the $1 trail map and one of the great books, could not be set up and better to get on a stream before heading "back home in Indiana." Later, if our web site comes to mind, that would, of course, be nice.

Here's the deal as I understand it: Any product... even if donated fully... to Great Smoky Mountains Association bearing a company's logo (or not - yep, that's right), must be appoved by the association and Park Service review committee... a process I am told can take up to two years. Add to that what I believe is the current official status of "they're not buying anything," the start of the submittal process for GSMA to just be given something helpful might not occur until after the 2014 mid-term elections. (For the record that is my choice of a projected date and mine alone). But, I choose to be remain optimistic. I have an appointment with the director of GSMA in a couple of weeks to learn for sure how things work. He seems like a nice gentleman on the phone and e-mails. I am looking forward to meeting him in person.

Last edited by JoeFred; 03-22-2013 at 02:45 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
JoeFred,
What might be more feasible for testing, and a lower initial cost would be a wireless stand alone touch pad. *
See one of these for instance:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/touchpad-t650
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...0&Code=0C51641
-Matt-
Here's a sneak peak of a prototype built on a Wal-mart two-seater pub table chassis. I went with the Logitech touchpad. I believe it will be great for those with more experience navigating tablets and smart phones than I. For the rest of us there is an old school wireless mouse.

– JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 03-23-2013 at 09:39 AM..