Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-14-2013, 12:44 PM

I was fishing Watauga a couple of years ago and was using a different bwo and starting it dry and letting it go wet in some heavy water and caught a 20 rainbow. My best rainbow ever.

God Bless,
Dances with Trout
Old 03-14-2013, 01:45 PM

Caught my very first trout on a sunkin parachute adams. Didnt know it then but it was about the time the quill gordons were coming off and this was typical for this mayfly. Also I fish an ant wet all the time and it works great. I think alot of things start on top and with all the currants ends up sunken.
Lynn
Old 03-14-2013, 03:12 PM

I think alot of things start on top and with all the currants ends up sunken.

My life in one sentence!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman01 View Post
When trout are eating caddis emergers, you see the fish leaping out of the water as they chase the caddis toward the surface. Caddis flies do not ride the surface as mayflies do; they jettison right through the surface and make for vegetation. When I am fishing a caddis dry pattern, I always let the bug swing under at the end of the drift and strip it back. After the bug has been dragged under it swings around and starts heading back toward the surface. On the upswing or as you are stripping it back, it appears to be a merger heading for the surface and some of the most aggressive strikes occur during this time. I have fished other patterns in this same fashion and have had good success getting strikes and catching fish. The only problem that arises is that the bug can absorb water and then you need to dry cast a few times to get it floating again. It is well worth the few dry casts, this technique catches fish. So yes, fish do eat dry fly's that become wet, you have been misinformed!
So right you are my friend. I've even had rainbow clear the water and nail the fly while it was being false cast to dry it, where they wouldn't even examine it during the presentation.

On any given day, what works, catches fish. What doesn't wok, doesn't. Sometimes the "purism" fly fisherman practice is what defeats them for the day, but it's all about preserving the art form of fly fishing, lest it be lost forever. Most of the time the practice of "purism" gets results, sometimes it doesn't. Such is life.

I guess if any of us knew what trout "think", our days on the water would be fewer in number. Maybe not.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 03-16-2013, 10:42 PM

I can't speak for all waters ,but I think that I have caught fish on the Hiwassee on nearly every dry fly that I commonly use. Sometimes on accident. Mostly I will fish a dry as a dry about 90% of the time and wet about 10%. It does not suprise me that a caddis works under water, but I take a lot of fish on parachute adams, bwo's and sulphers. I have no respect for a trout that will take a parachute dry fly a wet fly, unless it is over 12 inches.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Someday you will be dry fly fishing in a river with your line trailing out behind you in the current (and paying no attention), your fly will likely get swept under and be "trolling" down river so to speak and while you light your cigar a big fish will whack your fly even though all fly fishing "wisdom" says it should not happen...

You will play this fish to hand while your buddies watch and think you are a magnificent fly fisher and HOPE they didn't see the fish strike while you were paying no attention!

Good luck to you and ask all the "dumb" questions you want.
Been there / done that. Unfortunately, I'm rarely lucky enough for one of my fishing partners to actually see me land the fish much less see the fish strike.

Jef
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM

Blue Raider is wise to point out that dry flies do get swept under the film; particularly on a windy or blustery day.... Mayflies often get mashed back into the water and wet their wings and become the sought after "cripple" that is easy prey.

My prefered mayfly is a parachute with a sparse trailing shuck made of tri-lobal antron, SLF or Zelon..... they look more vulnerable than a full floating dun. I also like a trailing shuck on a CDC fly.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:23 PM

I would imagine a lot of floating duns get drown in all the little plunge pools and a dun under water is fairly common trout food.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 PM

We went to the Chattooga last Friday and caught two and landed both by allowing my dry to drag under at the end of the drift.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 PM

Great question and discussion. I have caught my two best trout on a drowned dry.