Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 AM

Default Elkmont 24 3/22 - 3/24

Thought I would share a few details from my trip over the weekend. First and foremost, TNFlyfisher backed out on me..

I caught a few small bows on Saturday using a tenkara rod and a #16 blue quill. This has me me thinking about saving 10+ pounds and leaving the waders, boots, and fly reel at home during the transition season.

Lots of rain, wet wood, yet dryer lint had this going with no problems:

I stayed dry and mostly warm in my hammock:

-Matt-
Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 AM

Smile

Nice report glad you got out. I think anyone who lives close enough to the Smokies for plenty of visits a year would have backed out after the weather last week. I knew early on I wouldn't be meeting up for the second half of NDuncan's week wouldn't happen. Then even my Smokies thru-hike that originally had to be modified got re-directed because of 441 closing.

Seems like you have a pretty organized system with the hammock. Did you have an underquilt?

And I agree for the most part - waders in the backcountry no good I don't know about ditching the boots unless you have some felt sandals or shoes. I bust my butt enough, and try to limit my risk when in the backcountry.My biggest question with the Tenkara is how you don't mess up your hook set without being able to pull on line at same time you are raising rod?

And I'm glad your enjoying you stove. I would be scared to put my I-phone so close to my stove. I also think my Camp-tek sleeping pad inflator and NDuncans tin can could boil water faster, lighter, and much cheaper

Maybe we can have a stove contest in the backcountry soon, with the loser having to carry out all the extra trash we clean up
Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM

My hammock is double layer, so I use a 39" x 59" x .25" evazote closed cell foam pad in between the layers; no worries about rolling off or it sliding out.

The waders I use in the backcountry are the chota hippies, which have a negligible weight difference compared to neoprene socks. The boots I carried up are the Orvis Packlight ones. In the Summer I wet wade in Korkers Swift Sandals (no longer made), but they have seen better days and will soon need to be retired. I need to find or make a felt bottom sandal that is all synthetic so it dries fast and can do double duty as a camp shoe. I tried to wade in Crocks once and that was a disaster.

The tip of the tenkara rod was soo sensitive I could see it reacting to the rocks a nymph bounced off of. When fishing the dries I saw the red lilian (what you attach your level line / furled leader to) jerk downstream and then lifted. Once I felt the fish on, then I set the hook by bringing the rod back behind my head. I watched some youtube videos before heading out.

I was really put off by Tenkara at first because of all the shills that TUSA had "blogging" about their products. One of the worst shills now "reviews" some of the other brands' offerings even though he resells the TUSA rods. Would you read the review of a Chevy at a Ford dealer? When I read that Ian and Charity were now using the rods however I decided there might be something to them. I picked up a Fountainhead brand 11' Stone Fly model for $75, and was quite pleased with it on its first outing.

Micro-USB cables come in many lengths. To be honest though I didn't have cause to use the recharging capability of the BioLite on this short trip. I might try to rig up a forced air solution to leave the orange thing at home on short trips. That stove contest sounds like it would be fun! I did manage to wrangle up a bunch of trash and remove and scatter the ashes from 2 of the firepits before hiking out Sunday.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
NDuncans tin can could boil water faster, lighter, and much cheaper
You don't even have to pack it in!

It's available for free at every horse backcountry site, and sometimes at the other sites too...

But WAIT! There's more!

Pick up one DIY tin can stove and they'll throw in another six at no additional cost! You just pack it out yourself

Out of stock at CS75 and CS70. More supply expected soon.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
Thought I would share a few details from my trip over the weekend. First and foremost, TNFlyfisher backed out on me..
I look at it as having provided you the opportunity to catch even more fish due to my absence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Nice report glad you got out. I think anyone who lives close enough to the Smokies for plenty of visits a year would have backed out after the weather last week.
DP is right on..
I really wanted to sneak away for a day and make it up there but due to my schedule and the weather unfortunately it didn't happen. I guess I owe whiskey next trip...

Tight Lines,
Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM

Matt, looks like a nice little trip.
Glad you had success with your new stove.

See any "backcountry rangers"?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post

Grannyknot,

I think you've got something here,

We should start a new thread called Report a "BACKCOUNTRY Ranger Sighting".

Be interesting to see how many reports we have by year end.

P.S

Matt that is a great report, Thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post

I saw several signs the rangers were nowhere near Elkmont on the hike in:

Two different groups, each with 2 dogs walking up the trail.

Several individuals "touring" the first green and white house on the right as I passed it.

But the backpackers are the only one who have to pay for the privilege of using the FOTS provided bear cables.