Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-02-2013, 01:51 PM

Default Clinch River April 1, 2013-Update

I was lucky yesterday morning to take a day off and fish the Weir, just a few guys on spinners below me and two on the grates above, beautiful morning and fish were rising. If anyone has not posted yet, a multitude of signs are posted in the area announcing the upcoming work on the Weir starting April 1st running about five weeks and parking could be restricted during the work hours. I am not sure how that affects water releases, but surely they have to have enough water going to keep insects and fish alive, maybe someone with insider knowledge can explain how that works during work process.

In the afternoon, I fished the Church and about 5:30 crawled out of the river and up the bank to my SUV, where I was met by TWRA agent. I of course thought dang where is my license, but actually he was surveying people on their thoughts on the agency and the14 inch to 20 inch slot limit. I responded on the slot limit that until I started catching 15 inch fish or 21 inch fish I had no objections! All in all a very nice rep for the agency and took the time to listen and answer relevant questions for me and made for a unique end of my Ferris Bueller day!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 PM

Glad you had a chance to get out on the water. The work could cause major issues for the fish and insects. Generally TVA uses somewhat poor judgement with their timing, if it was perfect they would do this during the colder months when temps wouldn't be an issue. They also generally leave it off way too much and let downstream flows become non existent.

I have a feeling the flows will be extremely low, temps will push the limits, and the didymo explosion could be scary. This is usually what happens during these events.

I honestly wish they would close the river during this period, do it in the colder months, or build a diversion dam so they could work and run normal flows.

One thing which will be interesting and problematic as well, is they are calling for 3"+ of rain later this week, and if they shut the river off completely silt will be a massive issue on the lower river.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:55 AM

I was wondering the same thing regarding the timing of the work. Winter would've been the best time to work on the weir.
As to the TWRA surveytaker, he seems to be a good guy although in the several times I've talked to him, I've forgotten to ask him what the info he gathers will be used for. He doesn't write any tickets or do any enforcement that I know of (he's past the age where TWRA will allow him to go armed).

Mike
Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by g022271 View Post
I was wondering the same thing regarding the timing of the work. Winter would've been the best time to work on the weir.
I think it would have been hard for them to work on the Weir when the Clinch was pushing 20,000 cfs all Winter

With record Winter rain falls it killed my tailwater Winter not being able to get it down to fishable levels, and surely wasn't low enough to do weir work

And while the fish may be a small factor (some might argue not even that), I don't think it plays much of a role in their decisions Maybe I've just grown to be cynical of TVA
Old 04-03-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
One thing which will be interesting and problematic as well, is they are calling for 3"+ of rain later this week, and if they shut the river off completely silt will be a massive issue on the lower river.
Waterwolf, speaking of silt, have you heard anything about condominiums going up on the old Vannoy farm? I heard the sale of the land was final and plans were being approved for widening & utilities on miller hollow lane. Any truth in that, or just somebody talking nonsense? Possibly an old rumor as well.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 AM

Duckypaddler, You got a point there that I somehow forgot about all the rain.....my shortterm memory must be slipping.........
Old 04-03-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
Waterwolf, speaking of silt, have you heard anything about condominiums going up on the old Vannoy farm? I heard the sale of the land was final and plans were being approved for widening & utilities on miller hollow lane. Any truth in that, or just somebody talking nonsense? Possibly an old rumor as well.
The Anderson County Register of Deeds is still showing this as belonging to Glenia Vannoy. The listing also still shows this as being "Active" and not pending, per Knoxville MLS. There's not a whole lot of people have $6 million dollars to spend on development land right now and probably not many banks that would loan on it either when they own a bunch of the subdivisions in Anderson County already. But, I could be wrong.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
Property is still for sale as of last week. I hope someone is dumb enough to pay the exorbitant amount for that property and then also be dumb enough to build condos thinking they will fill them up. Whoever comes up with that idea would rival the authors of the new Healthcare law for idiotic actions.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Property is still for sale as of last week. I hope someone is dumb enough to pay the exorbitant amount for that property and then also be dumb enough to build condos thinking they will fill them up. Whoever comes up with that idea would rival the authors of the new Healthcare law for idiotic actions.
I know it was sold one time last year and there was a hangup with the original deal. There were rumors that it was going to be developed and the land was going to get rezoned through the back-door of Anderson County Politics. Seems; this was part of the hitch.

If that farm gets developed; it would completely ruin the picturesque and pristine nature of the Clinch River as a tail water and Norris Dam. However; money talks and there is always somebody willing to bend a few rules for a piece.

People need to get more involved and outspoken in their local politics. Ask questions about issues and voice your opinion!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 AM

Well thats good to hear about the development rumor.
I think you guys are right that a developer would be hard pressed to not go broke in such an endeavor.