Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 04-04-2013, 06:49 PM

Default Well done!

Brought tears to my eyes, in a good way. My middle daughter got involved with a "deadbeat" and became pregnant whle they were living together. The result is that she as a single mother living in our home is raising our Grandson whom we watch while she is at work. It used to break my heart when he would talk about his "daddy" and say he wanted to see his dad. Now mind you we refuse to talk his dad down to him, but the guy only rarely comes to town supposedly to see my grandson and ends up only briefly, if at all spending any time with or around him. In addition the "dad' is on his cell phone talking or texting the entire time he is around my Grandson.

About a year or so ago, my Grandson spontaeously spoke up and said, we don't need a daddy, I have a papa and looked over at me with a huge smile.

Being a dad myself as well as a grandad, now, I cannot imagine having a child and being no more invested in his life than his "dad" has been...I have to say it is truly a much greater loss to the "dad" than it will ever be to my Grandson!

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton

Last edited by pmike; 04-04-2013 at 09:26 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 08:36 PM

Default 2nd time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmike View Post
Brought tears to my eyes, in a good way. My middle daughter got involved with a "deadbeat" and became pregnant whle they were living together. The result is that she as a single mother living in our home is raising our Grandson whom we watch while she is at work. It used to break my heart when he would talk about his "daddy" and say he wanted to see his dad. Now mind you we refuse to talk his dad down to him, but the guy only rarely comes to town supposedly to see my grandson and ends up bonly briefly if at all spending any time with or aroiund him. In addition the "dad' is on his cell phone talking or texting the entire time he is around my Grandson.

About a year or so ago, my Grandson spontaeously spoke up and said, we don't need a daddy, I have a papa and looked over at me with a huge smile.

Being a dad myself as well as a grandad, now, I cannot imagine having a child and being no more invested in his life than his "dad" hs been...I have to say it is truly a much greater loss to the "dad" than it will ever be to my Grandson!

Mike
Mike, in my work, I see more than you will ever know of "grandparents raising and caring for children twice over with grandkids". Thank god you are there!!!

More and more grandparents driving minivans to bear a responsibility that they once held and accomplished and now doing again. You are an honorable man!!

As for grandparents, my children are blessed with a storybook description of a papa.

Your are......... Superman my friend.

Thank you for sharing.

Breck
Old 04-04-2013, 09:17 PM

Default Breck you are too kind :)

Thanks for your kind and gracious words. By the way, my favorite fishing partner as a kid growing up, was my Uncle George. My Dad never seemed to want to do much with my brother and I as kids growing up, I suppose in part it was due to "burnout" or some such thing. Dad had been very involved in Boy Scouts along with his Dad before him and as a kid, later as a young man, I would meet adult men who upon learning my name would ask if Dan Thorpe was my father. When I'd reply that he was, they would go on and on about how much he meant to them for all he had invested in their lives through scouting...my brother and I shook our heads in disbelief, wondering how that could even be possible...

My Uncle seemed to understand and he liked to fish, so when he had time, he would always try to get me to take him out with me in my old leaky and decrepit boat. We would always catch fish and swap stories, and his involvment helped me develop some sense of personal worth. I am sure some of your nephew's fondest, if not the fondest of his memories will have to do with time spent with you!

God Bless and thanks for sharing!!!
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmike View Post
Mike
Thanks for sharing, Mike. I'm with Breck. "Superman" fits.

– JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 04-05-2013 at 12:15 AM..
Old 04-06-2013, 10:12 AM

Red face Too Kind

Personally I want to say I think Breck is "THE MAN" My Grandson is so much a part of me, I can't fathom doing otherwise. Breck's investment into the life of his nephew especially touches a nerve (in the best way) with me, because of my own situation with my Uncle and how much he and his time invested, meant to me. I would add that he may have had ulterior motives because he frequently would tell me that he ;liked fishing with me because I could catch fish when no one else was catching them

I might add that Breck's title for being the man is being contested in our home by my Elijah. Elijah climbed into my big recliner a couple of weeks ago after I left for work, then smiled and looked over at his "Bella" (Grandma), while saying, "I'm Papa, I am the man!". Robin almost fell out of her chair laughing...and wondering where and how he managed to come up with this as we've never done such...

Thanks again for your kindness guys
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 AM

Way to go. I have a nephew I feel the same way about. I never had kids, so my nephews and nieces are it for me.