Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-11-2013, 02:22 PM
mattblick's Avatar
mattblick mattblick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Springboro, OH
Posts: 154
Default Bad litigation made me think about Back country fees

http://news.yahoo.com/idaho-family-s...180507334.html

A family is suing the USFS for $1 million because a dead tree fell on their son and injured him. The family states that the USFS should have removed this tree in a 2,612,000 acre forest because someone had erected a stone fire ring in the area - making it an "established" camp site.

I feel the likely outcome is that the case will be thrown out since it was not a developed campsite, with no USFS erected structures, nor reservations, nor fees collected for this location.

Would federal lands that have designated campsites which require registration and fees be different? Can a legal eagle prove that the controlling agency has responsibility for reasonable maintenance and safety? I know the NPS cuts down dead trees in the GSMP front country campgrounds to prevent litigation. Now that the park collects fees for the back county sites, has it opened itself to litigation?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-11-2013, 02:59 PM
NDuncan's Avatar
NDuncan NDuncan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Knoxville, Tn
Posts: 625
Default

THat's an interesting idea... On my spring break trip, one of the bear cables gave me a couple of rusty metal sliver in my hand. Now it was an accident that I grabbed the wrong place, but I feel my $4 should have gone to towards them making sure that that cables are safe for my use, without fear of metal slivers/splinters in my hand.


oh and i am emotionally damaged from this tragedy.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-11-2013, 04:45 PM
David Knapp's Avatar
David Knapp David Knapp is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Crossville, TN
Posts: 2,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
THat's an interesting idea... On my spring break trip, one of the bear cables gave me a couple of rusty metal sliver in my hand. Now it was an accident that I grabbed the wrong place, but I feel my $4 should have gone to towards them making sure that that cables are safe for my use, without fear of metal slivers/splinters in my hand.


oh and i am emotionally damaged from this tragedy.
Sounds like a perfect test case...
__________________
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
contact: TroutZoneAnglers at gmail dot com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-12-2013, 12:34 PM
bigsur's Avatar
bigsur bigsur is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 269
Default

I am not an attorney, but I would think any judge would immediatley dismiss any case by a trout fisherman due to the said claimant already demonstrating questionable mental ability when he jumps off a perfectly dry creekbank to stand chest deep in cold water to crouch behind a rock to sneak up in a fish! I would think an intervention by a trained mental health specialist would be ordered instead, followed by weeks of followup visits!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-12-2013, 02:52 PM
mattblick's Avatar
mattblick mattblick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Springboro, OH
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
I am not an attorney, but I would think any judge would immediatley dismiss any case by a trout fisherman due to the said claimant already demonstrating questionable mental ability when he jumps off a perfectly dry creekbank to stand chest deep in cold water to crouch behind a rock to sneak up in a fish! I would think an intervention by a trained mental health specialist would be ordered instead, followed by weeks of followup visits!
Ditmanson hasn't yet figured out a way to charge for jumping into the cold water.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-12-2013, 06:14 PM
duckypaddler's Avatar
duckypaddler duckypaddler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 1,155
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
Ditmanson hasn't yet figured out a way to charge for jumping into the cold water.
I'm sure they are working on it. The backpacker fee is just the beginning
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Kytroutbum Kytroutbum is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 542
Default

We actually have posters that are mounted on the sign posts in the campground we host at "Warning that trees may fall in high winds". Whatever!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.