Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 04-11-2013, 06:08 AM

Default Crane fly larva

Shawn recently shared a photo of a mystery bug from the clinch; some thought it may be a crane fly larva; others a caddis, perhaps a cased caddis outta his case.

Anyway I recall Hugh Hartsell's website and a few of his comments once at Troutfest about the Holston having a great many craneflies and did some looking into things last night after fishing a "copy" of Shawn's bug with good results on the Holston.

A guy named WALT YOUNG created a simple fly called "Walt's Worm" that is nothing but a weighted hook with a dubbed body of gray rabbit hair, (my flies were weighted hooks with Orvis Hare's ear ice dub clipped with a brown head of big fly dub also clipped and I used copper wire.

http://www.riseformstudio.tv/fly_tyi...alts_worm.html

These are too easy to tie so consider trying them out.

Don't know if yesterday's fish thought they ate a "brown headed" crane fly OR a caddis pupa but sometimes the simply tied flies catch lotsa fish.

I used size 14 and 16 hooks 3x long.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 AM

Richard,
There is a sweet fly for the Clinch called a "squirrel" fly that mimics the pattern you shared and works very well.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 AM

I use a size appropriate scud hook and wrap a tan rubber band or some other latex and then a turn or two of peacock. I've caught a lot of fish on this pattern but its not very durable.
Lynn
Old 04-13-2013, 10:51 AM

Lynn-

A rubber band? You know, you might be on to something there! Could be a substitute for wrapping quill. I like the looks of quill, but it is a PITA for me to wrap on a hook. Might have to give it a try. Rubber bands come in different widths, thickness, and colors.

Bill
Old 04-13-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum View Post
Lynn-

A rubber band? You know, you might be on to something there! Could be a substitute for wrapping quill. I like the looks of quill, but it is a PITA for me to wrap on a hook. Might have to give it a try. Rubber bands come in different widths, thickness, and colors.

Bill
I can't take credit for the rubber band. I can't remember where I saw it, maybe Jacks idea. Like I said not very durable and the rubber band dries out pretty quickly. Let us know what you come up with. I've been doing this for awhile but it never fails. I have learned things from folks who have fished for fifty years but have also gotten ideas from guys who have fished for a short time too. Thanks everyone for sharing.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:05 AM

Josh at the Soho fly shop makes a black fly larva fly with brown & black "silli legs" rubber band that is simply wrapped on the shank; usually on size 18 hook.... he doesn't even use thread.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 AM

Check out this large crane fly pattern I tied for the Clinch and it actually caught some fish. Sorry for the large display format. I did not have time to resize the source images and I could not get the php bbcode to resize the posts by typing it in.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:44 AM

Recipe?

Just last night I was reading about tying nymphs on bent shanks; the tyer claimed it made the fly UNDULATE in the water like the real bug...

I'm heading out the door to the Holston as the Clinch is buried untill this afternoon... wish I had one of to try out.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Recipe?

Just last night I was reading about tying nymphs on bent shanks; the tyer claimed it made the fly UNDULATE in the water like the real bug...

I'm heading out the door to the Holston as the Clinch is buried untill this afternoon... wish I had one of to try out.

Richard,
Large bass hook with black wire; medium dark-blue chenille, and large pieces of black dubbing for the head and front gills (brushed out).

The action;-I think is that the fly actually twists while it is being cast and starts to unravel once it is in the water; so it looks like it is moving.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:09 AM

Everyone-

Rubber bands, silli legs, bass hooks, chenille, these are some great ideas. Just kicked my creative juices into high gear. Maestro......Crank up the tying vise please.

Bill