Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-15-2013, 03:27 PM

Default Clinch River Update April 15, 2013

If you are like me and fish or follow the news of the Clinch you may have noticed the last couple of weeks the fencing being erected around the Weir parking lot. I spoke today with someone with knowledge of the project and asked about the timeline of the closing of the parking lot gates, according to them the new parking lot gates will be closed in the next couple of days and the project will begin. The work will include repair and replacement of some of the grating, and replacement of the timbers holding the rock in place behind the dam in addition to possible work on a manaul valve on the front side of the dam. That brought up my question of how do you work on the front of the Weir without draining the water from the front side. I was told a temporary dam would possibly be put in place and the flow of water from the main dam would be diverted to the back side of the island. I am not an engineer but if you google cofferdam, I think this may be one of the options they might utilize. NOTE: I have attached a picture of an example of that type dam, not the actual one they may use or type they may use, just an example!!

Last edited by bigsur; 04-15-2013 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 AM

Does anyone know WHY this work is being performed and what the stated GOAL might be?

TVA IS LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE HEALTH AND WELFARE OF THE AQUATIC LIFE IN THEIR TAILWATER; perhaps the reports of "fish strading" on the weir is the issue?

This seems to be an expensive endeavor.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:55 AM

The weir was built in the eighties. It was not well constucted. It was designed to release a full pool of weir held water over eight hour period. Overvtimes of heavy water release generation and sluicing the weir was weakened and in places broken and it now cannot hold a full weir pool longer than about four hours. Less hours of weir release equals lower down river levels, less river width, less bottom protected to generate food and cover. It is a crtical thing for the fishery long term that the weir be repaired and you flyfisherman should be happy it is being done .
Old 04-16-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Does anyone know WHY this work is being performed and what the stated GOAL might be?

TVA IS LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE HEALTH AND WELFARE OF THE AQUATIC LIFE IN THEIR TAILWATER; perhaps the reports of "fish strading" on the weir is the issue?

This seems to be an expensive endeavor.
TVA is responsible for flood control and power generation. They try and help the fishery for PR reasons alone.

We are lucky TVA is willing to try and keep our rivers in the best condition possible, and anyone whining about this situation needs to look at the tragedy at Wolf Creek, and what happened to that fishery. This is child's play and I'm glad to support TVA in their efforts to keep the river productive.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:38 AM

I am glad they are working on it. There is one thing I can say is that TVA employees do a heck of a job and do quality work. I just hope they work safe and none of them get hurt on this project.

As far as the river goes; it looks like the sulphur hatch is actually on schedule. The Main Mayfly hatch should be in May instead of late-May to June. The river is thick with them and many that I have sampled are full of gas and ready to release. I have noticed sporadic hatches all week and even caught a few on a sulphur dry.

The only negative with the lower water is you just have to be patient.
to choose, to respond, to change.”