Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-28-2013, 12:56 PM

Default Barbless

I know we are all supposed to and encouraged to but how many of you actually use barbless hooks? I continually hear that using a barbed hook and smashing it down to where there is a "bulb" is highly effective. I just can't buy into it but I'm considering making the switch for a couple of months to form my own opinion. Looking for insight from anyone who may have done the same...
Old 04-28-2013, 01:57 PM

I use barbless whenever I can. A barbless hook will penetrate flesh with less force. They will hold a fish as well as a barbed if you as fisher person can keep the line tight.
I also smash the barb but on occasion the barb will not close all of the way or the barb will break or the hook it's self will break.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:15 PM

I crimp the barbs on all the flys I tie. Easier on the fish and me if I happen to hook myself, which sometime happens.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:19 PM

I always mash the barbs or use barbless hooks, Just got 3 sizes of Sabre barbless hooks that I really like, $6.99 per 100. Never noticed any trouble landing fish on them but a lot easier to unhook, and as The Princpal mentioned, stuck one in the back of my thumb to the bend over Easter and was very glad it was barbless.
Tad
Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 PM

Fishing barbless will make you a better fisherman. You have to fight the fish smart and cannot allow slack into the line during the fight. That said, you will lose fish from time to time but I have fish throw barbed flies too so I think in the end its just a little easier on both fisherman and fish to use barbless. I fish barbless most of the time except when I'm chasing large fish and want every advantage I can get...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-30-2013, 11:19 AM

I was up in the park fishing with my brother last week. I slipped on a rock and the hook stuck in my hand between the thumb and forefinger fairly deep...I was glad I had crimped down the barb.