Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 04-28-2013, 03:08 PM

good tip with the contact cement, epoxies dry hard and will crack tearing the next layer of felt off.I have used 3m 5200 fast cure with good results on felt and rubber, clean both surfaces, dry,dry and then dry some more, apply to both surfaces push together peel apart to make sure you have 100% coverage[its good to have some bleed out of all edges] clamp or tape overnight and your good to go.of course if the felt is in bad shape it most likely will happen in another layer of the material soon.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:51 AM

Corbo,
Was the contact cement that you used the "Gel" formula that I mentioned in my initial response? I failed to mention it, but the reason I said to use the gel is that the liquid contact cement has a tendency to absorb into the felt where as the gel when applied generously as mentioned, creates a nice layer on the felt surface and is not absorbed into the felt. The surface that is created becomes a binding medium between the boot and the felt that is waterproof and will hold extremely well. If you used the liquid, depending on how much was absorbed into the felt, the surface contact of the adhesives may not be the same and the results may be different. Let me know how this works out!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 AM

Not the Gel' it was WELD WOOD red can liquid but it is thick... I did not go to Lowe's for gel as i install hard surface flooring for the orange store, lol

I applied two heavy coats with a spatula due ro the soak in effect.

Thanks! I believe it will work and as there is a window on the Holston below Cherokee today I might wear them between 1 and 5PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:37 AM

Hey; so the show repair worked wicked good yesterday; like brand new!

The wader repair was not so sucessfull.

Please pray for my brother Steve who passed away unexpectedly last night; my Mom is devestated, he was only 49 and we don't know what happened to him yet.

Looks like I will be headed up to maine in next few days and can go to LL Beans and swap out these leaking waders for a NEW FREE WADERS. I would rather have my brother though and have had leaky waders till summer.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 AM

I am glad that worked for you Corbo, you and your family have my heart-felt sympathy and prayers for the loss your brother Steve. Safe travels friend to and from Maine.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:49 PM

Sorry for your loss