Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-01-2013, 01:30 PM

I'm with NDuncan on this. The Park biologists have stated before that they wish more fishermen would keep a few fish on occasion. Keeping a few fish won't hurt the park streams, especially as long as people are taking out the pan-sized fish and leaving any big spawners in the ecosystem. I don't eat fish but from what I've been told the wild trout taste a lot better as well.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-01-2013, 03:13 PM

I agree with these guys let him take a couple and don't feel "guilty" about it. After all that's pretty much why God put em in there (for people to eat) oh and also for fly fishing.

I like flyred's idea on Greenbrier area middle prong if nothing else for the scenery.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 05-01-2013, 03:53 PM

What the heck am I supposed to catch if you guys take the stupid ones out of the stream?
Old 05-01-2013, 04:48 PM

If he wants to keep some fish don't keep the stockers...you would know what I mean if you ever cleaned one next to a wild fish...The problem with the Park's freestone streams is that they are not fertile enough to sustain a large population of insect life which means there is only a finite amount of food for the trout....just like a farm pond...if you don't harvest some of the fish all you get are stunted fish and lots of them. Play catch and release if you must but release them into the grease...fish the lower section of Roaring Fork...use a parachute adams or a neversink caddis...once you commit to this section you either fish to the bridge or walk back downstream...some of the water in there will amaze you...once had a local tell me the best fly to use there was a yallarhammar wet fly...you will catch a lot of keepers in the 7-8 inch range with occasionally something bigger....keep the small ones, dust them in cornmeal and fry them up crispy....ear them like corn on the cob....won't be so quick to throw them all back after that.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
If he wants to keep some fish don't keep the stockers...you would know what I mean if you ever cleaned one next to a wild fish...The problem with the Park's freestone streams is that they are not fertile enough to sustain a large population of insect life which means there is only a finite amount of food for the trout....just like a farm pond...if you don't harvest some of the fish all you get are stunted fish and lots of them. Play catch and release if you must but release them into the grease...fish the lower section of Roaring Fork...use a parachute adams or a neversink caddis...once you commit to this section you either fish to the bridge or walk back downstream...some of the water in there will amaze you...once had a local tell me the best fly to use there was a yallarhammar wet fly...you will catch a lot of keepers in the 7-8 inch range with occasionally something bigger....keep the small ones, dust them in cornmeal and fry them up crispy....ear them like corn on the cob....won't be so quick to throw them all back after that.
Actually I am going to do some scouting on Friday because my wife and I will arrive hours before my daughter and son in law. I was seriously thinking Roaring Fork, but have never tried it. I'm sure I can convince him of alternatives once I get this scouted out. How long does it take to fish the section of the stream? We do have time restrictions unfortunately. And how much rock climbing? I did a number on my knee last year in Tremont, so much so I could not wade at all.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:17 PM

I would go up to Chimneys and try Road Prong. That's a fine place to "hook" a new fisherman. It's only 20 minutes or so above Gburg and its loaded with some fine fish.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
I would go up to Chimneys and try Road Prong. That's a fine place to "hook" a new fisherman. It's only 20 minutes or so above Gburg and its loaded with some fine fish.
I forgot that I tried that many years ago. Wasn't sure if I was on WPLP or Road. Parked at Alum Cave and fished in that section of stream one time. Must have been 25-30 years ago though. Plenty of fish I do recall.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:03 PM

I've started keeping one or two on occasion...there are far too many in those waters.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
Keep in mind the chimneys trailhead is closed. The bridge was still out and the whole parking lot closed as of two weeks ago. I haven't checked since then.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:06 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Keep in mind the chimneys trailhead is closed. The bridge was still out and the whole parking lot closed as of two weeks ago. I haven't checked since then.
Scheduled to be open June 30th. Trails forever work will start again then and it will be closed Mon-Thur and open fri-sun while they complete the trail rehab. I'm glad they decided to leave the old CCC pier making this a much smaller project than some that were calling for a new monster bridge that could stretch the whole river