Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-05-2013, 07:05 AM

Post Mayflies in May on The Clinch River!

Mayflies in May on The Clinch River!
  • Air Temp: 59 Deg.
  • Water Temp. 47.5 Deg start-49 Deg finish
  • Clarity: Clear with pollen film on the surface
  • Conditions: Spotty rain showers
  • Hatch: Medium Sized Crane Flies and Mayflies
I figured I would start a topic about the mayfly hatch on the Clinch this year. Hopefully; it will be an interesting year with the fluctuations in the water levels a few weeks ago.

Fished the lower portion of the Clinch Tailwater on Saturday, May 4. There were a few mayfly adults floating by from 9am-noon. From noon until about 3pm was a steady and consistent hatch of adult mayflies (density:~1 every ten feet).

The fish were very active and taking emergent and dry mayflies from about 1pm until 3pm. Unfortunately; the water release had caught up to me and I was water logged from the rain. So; I called it a day.

I tried to get some photos of the mayflies on the water; however, it was difficult to distinguish them from the rain drops.

I am looking for a crane fly larva pattern that would mimic the one in the photo below. Please share if you have one.

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 05-07-2013 at 06:28 AM..
Old 05-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the report Shawn. I am missing getting on the river. Have been busy for two months working on new seats for the drift boat and have not had my flyrod out yet, unbelievable. I will finish this week and then am off for a week. I hope the water conditions will be good for either wading or floating. Looking at the rainfall totals map just now, it doesn't appear that the river basin upstream got the bulk of this weekend's rainfall.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:10 PM

I floated the Holston yesterday from the dam to Indian Cave. For those that don’t know….that is a long, long trip. We put in at about 9:00 and didn’t get to Indian Cave until 5:00. We caught a few fish, and they were seemingly fat and healthy, but nothing to brag about. The fish didn’t seem interested in feeding until later in the day. I suspect that with the front moving in and the wind, they weren’t that active. We didn’t see a rise until 2:00. The wind made it tough all day, not only casting but controlling the boat as well. However, it was a heck of a lot better than sitting at home.

I was going to include a picture with this post, but I don’t have permission to (perhaps because of my low post count). Anyway, the trout seemed to be keyed in on about a size 14 yellowish crane fly, much like Shawn has pictured above. I’ve looked around for a pattern and can’t seem to find one that looks easy. I’m thinking of adding some yellow chenille and tapering off the end for a body, then adding some pheasant tail fibers with a knot on each for legs. Perhaps some blue dun wings and some hackle too. That’s about the best I can think up.

I keep a paint strainer in my tackle box and slip it over my landing net. It’s really nice to be able to catch a few bugs in it and the white makes it easy to see them. I saw a few small, tan caddis out there too.

-Jed.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:49 AM

Default RE: Creanefly

Shawn,

The link below shows a pattern that would imitate the one you photographed fairly well, and isn't hard to tie once you get used to the legs. I haven't fished them on the Clinch but have used them on other tailwaters with success. Its the pattern I used when I see smaller crane flies present.

http://hipwader.com/2005/crane-fly-pattern

This next link is a more realistic pattern and I sometimes tie it to represent the larger crane flies I see and isn't a lot harder to tie than the first one. They both will work well in any size you want to imitate.

http://dronsworld.blogspot.com/2012/...long-legs.html
Old 05-07-2013, 06:23 AM

cbpedigo21,

Thanks for sharing the links and patterns

Those are some beautiful flies and I think I will try to tie a few this week.

Do you know of any crane fly larva patterns as well?
Blessings,

-------------
BTW;

*Here are some old videos I shot of sulphurs.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:16 PM

I've used this larger version of the Sawyer's Killer Bug for a crane fly larva.

http://midcurrent.com/videos/tying-a...m_medium=email

steve
Old 05-07-2013, 07:42 PM

Shawn,

I have used both of these patterns with success before, the second link is an easier pattern to tie and seems to be just as effective. Tie them in sizes/colors to match the ones where you fish. This is the key, because they seem to vary in color and size, even in different parts of the same river.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...m?parentID=100

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/fly-...flylarva.shtml
Old 05-07-2013, 08:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

walts worm... best all around crane fly larva. ridiculously easy to tie, so simple I think people don't believe they will work.. Good fly I various colors as well for a make shift scud or caddis larva.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
I've used this larger version of the Sawyer's Killer Bug for a crane fly larva. steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpedigo21 View Post
Shawn,
I have used both of these patterns with success before, the second link is an easier pattern to tie and seems to be just as effective. Tie them in sizes/colors to match the ones where you fish. This is the key, because they seem to vary in color and size, even in different parts of the same river.

Thanks Fellas for taking the time to share this information and to help me with creating a pattern to dial in the current crane flies on the Clinch.

• I think I will create a larva pattern with light cord wrap and add an orange butt. Then; lightly wrap the cord with a sparse amount of dubbing.

I will post a picture if I get a chance to tie one up tonight.

Appreciate the comradery of all who take the time to share and teach.