Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 05-18-2013, 05:53 PM

Default Stealth Bomber Color Preferences?

I recently bought one of the #6 Stealth Bomber foam cutters and a big pack of closed-cell craft foam in a variety of colors. I plan to tie up a selection of SB's in standard colors like chartreuse, yellow, white, black, and tan, but what about some of the other colors in the pack? I've also seen blue ones used as damselfly imitations, but has anybody ever tied up and fished any in pink, red, orange, or purple? If so, did you do any good with them? And what about variations in body, tail, and leg colors? What's worked for you and what hasn't? Please share your experiences. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:22 PM

Default Not much help

I'm not going to be much help, but I fished them a couple weeks ago at the in-laws farm pond and caught about a dozen fish on Byron's green. They ate it up. I've since started tying some in the usual colors. The only issue I had with them is that the fish hit them so aggressively, that more than half of them took the hook so deep, I had to go in through the gills to remove it. I wonder if this was just a fluke, or if I need to go to a bigger hook on the ones I tie.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:07 PM

IMO, Chart. green is by far the best color for bass then black, yellow and then white are my favorites.White seems to be very good for largemouth. I've tried orange but only caught bream or rockbass. never tried pink or purple or blue.
I have recently been tying olive with black /silver legs for cicada imitations.
waiting on a chance to test them.
I tie mostly with yellow legs and put red tips on the ends, but like coral snake banned and yellow /black banned, and black /silver banned.
Bass do often take them deep. not sure if a larger hook will help but worth a try. I do tie some of my bigger stealths on a size 1 mustad 3366 hook.
Fished Friday evening and caught well over 50 bass on a size 8 chart green stealth tied with yellow legs with red tips. most were between 12 and 15 inches on my 3wt.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:13 AM

Thanks, guys. I'll definitely be tying plenty in the primary colors, but I guess I'll have to experiment with some of the others. I'll try to take notes on how well they work and post a report at the end of the season.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:54 PM

I have never used purple, but I have to believe that purple with black legs would be great on an overcast day.