Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-19-2013, 02:39 PM

Default Clinch 5/19

Tons of sulphurs mid-afternoon.
Rising fish everywhere.
No big heads comin up.
Malformed stockers.
What a waste of bugs.

4X
Old 05-19-2013, 03:10 PM

I meant sat. 5/18.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:22 PM

I saw some rise forms that spelled good size fish, but could you approach them....no. Had fun even with the crazy weather. I seemed to do better while it rained, before the main hatch took off. Water temp at 3:00 was right at 50 degrees....my feet knew it.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:27 PM

Sporadic hatch at best where I was and very few fish interested in them as well. Things look iffy for a great year on the Clinch based on what I saw in 2 days of floating this past weekend. Fish size is small overall and didn't have the feel of a great Clinch year. Fished the Hiwassee last week and is was the best I've seen it in a long time.

Last edited by waterwolf; 05-19-2013 at 10:32 PM..
Old 05-20-2013, 06:52 AM

I think the fishing was excellent Saturday and tailed off a bit Sunday.

I landed about 50 Saturday in half-day fishing and caught several fat bows. Did not get anything over 16"; but, there were several meaty fish.

Of-course; the key fly for me this weekend was the Umpqua split-case.

Here is a picture of my friend Beto with one of the thick rainbows we were catching.

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-20-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Sporadic hatch at best where I was and very few fish interested in them as well. Things look iffy for a great year on the Clinch based on what I saw in 2 days of floating this past weekend. Fish size is small overall and didn't have the feel of a great Clinch year. Fished the Hiwassee last week and is was the best I've seen it in a long time.
I would classify my hatch as "Big".
I was fishing very, very, low on the river.
I had a super early spring down there but those trout seemed to have gone somewhere.

I went about a 1/2 mile upstream and didn't see as many bugs.
So, I reckon the full blown hatches are just starting and will move upriver soon.
The river, too me, looked awesome! Large patches of grass and a nice clean bottom.
I could give a rat's behind about catching these stupid,crappy,snaky,colorless,worthless,benign,par asitic,lily-livered stockers though!
Stock em at 4"!

4X
Old 05-20-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourx View Post
I would classify my hatch as "Big".
I was fishing very, very, low on the river.
I had a super early spring down there but those trout seemed to have gone somewhere.

I went about a 1/2 mile upstream and didn't see as many bugs.
So, I reckon the full blown hatches are just starting and will move upriver soon.
The river, too me, looked awesome! Large patches of grass and a nice clean bottom.
I could give a rat's behind about catching these stupid,crappy,snaky,colorless,worthless,benign,par asitic,lily-livered stockers though!
Stock em at 4"!

4X
Glad you had a nice day, and I wasn't doubting your report just stating how it was for me. Hope you also enjoy the crowds who are undoubtedly aware now because of your report. Time for me to vanish to lesser spoken of places. I can't handle swarms of people anymore, it was nice this weekend with relatively few on the river.

Hope things continue to go well!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:34 AM

Sorry guys,I just can't seem to get into chasing those clinch fish this year. I must be getting old or burnt out or something! I found my self catching Crappie this evening, lazy man fishing I guess! I'll let y'all know when the fish fry is . Until then 4x you can have my rock to stand on!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:08 PM

Anyone planning on hitting the river after work this week? Eager to see how it's fishing during the week with this generation schedule. I'm going to try to get out one day this week.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
Sorry guys,I just can't seem to get into chasing those clinch fish this year. I must be getting old or burnt out or something! I found my self catching Crappie this evening, lazy man fishing I guess! I'll let y'all know when the fish fry is . Until then 4x you can have my rock to stand on!
I share your thoughts Rodney. I only fished it three times last year, and even gave up on my property access this year. Had a few run-ins with people with very poor fishing etiquette, and found that I was focusing too much exclusively on the Clinch. Gone were the days of chasing fish on the Holston, South Holston, Hiwassee, Caney Fork, Watauga, and in the park... I am hoping to get back to that this year.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler