Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-09-2013, 01:55 PM

Default FFF Cullowhee next week

We're off to the FFF shindig in Cullowhee next weekend. It looks like Marvin Cash and Co. with the NC FFF have put together an great get together. We’re going to be there. I believe I had one seminar to give on old timer fly fishermen and fly patterns of the Smokies. It is my understanding too that the official news of the new fly fishing museum in Cherokee will be announced there.

Southern Trout Magazine is officially one year old this Saturday, having been birthed at TroutFest last year in Townsend. It’s still a bit early to say if the baby will make it, but we’re betting on it. To date we have broken 32,000 visits, 21,000 unique visitors, over 500,000 page views, and the average time spent on the site is over seven minutes per visit. These are not bad numbers, at least so I am told by people who understand such things far better than I do (I know how to catch trout…).

Considering that we have only promoted this publication via going to shows and speaking at FFF/TU meetings, we are pleased with where we are. We have scheduled some email blasts for later this month and are excited as to how this will work. So far it is all we can do to keep up with making this thing go, but it is a labor of love. Any who, if you make the FFF thingie in NC, please stop by to say hello. I have a sorta, kinda decent cigar to give those who partake of this disgusting habit.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 AM

I plan to be there Friday as a spectator/autograph hound, but may not get to stay for the barbeque that evening. The Fly Fishing Federation has teamed up with the Little River Chapter of Trout Unlimited to host the "Back the Brookie BBQ." All profits from this event will support brook trout restoration in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Immediately following the BBQ, they will be showing the Fly Fishing Film Tour in the Ramsey Center, Western Carolina University. Please come and help Mike Bryant and Dave Ezell support this event.

Set your sights on the fun and your navi on 1 University Way, Cullowhee, NC.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the reminder, I am already registered and paid for Saturday (only $5), and even signed up for one of the free seminars. I fish that area of NC quite a bit and there are plenty of easy drop ins for those who want to go to the event and piggyback a quick fishing trip (be sure and get your NC non resident license if from out of state, it's only $10 for 10 days if I remember correctly.) Looking forward to the day!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 05-16-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kirk View Post
We're off to the FFF shindig in Cullowhee next weekend. It looks like Marvin Cash and Co. with the NC FFF have put together an great get together. We’re going to be there. I believe I had one seminar to give on old timer fly fishermen and fly patterns of the Smokies. It is my understanding too that the official news of the new fly fishing museum in Cherokee will be announced there.

Southern Trout Magazine is officially one year old this Saturday, having been birthed at TroutFest last year in Townsend. It’s still a bit early to say if the baby will make it, but we’re betting on it. To date we have broken 32,000 visits, 21,000 unique visitors, over 500,000 page views, and the average time spent on the site is over seven minutes per visit. These are not bad numbers, at least so I am told by people who understand such things far better than I do (I know how to catch trout…).

Considering that we have only promoted this publication via going to shows and speaking at FFF/TU meetings, we are pleased with where we are. We have scheduled some email blasts for later this month and are excited as to how this will work. So far it is all we can do to keep up with making this thing go, but it is a labor of love. Any who, if you make the FFF thingie in NC, please stop by to say hello. I have a sorta, kinda decent cigar to give those who partake of this disgusting habit.
Don, met you at Trout Fest last year, enjoyed your book, look forward to your magazine and sounds like you have the S.E.M. and S.E.O. drilling down with your online presence. Have even used a couple of your magazine sponsors. Congrats and look forward to your on line contribution.

Breck
Old 05-17-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
Thanks for the reminder, I am already registered and paid for Saturday (only $5), and even signed up for one of the free seminars. I fish that area of NC quite a bit and there are plenty of easy drop ins for those who want to go to the event and piggyback a quick fishing trip (be sure and get your NC non resident license if from out of state, it's only $10 for 10 days if I remember correctly.) Looking forward to the day!
bigsur, I may get to meet you tomorrow. I wasn't able to go today as planned.
– JF
Old 05-19-2013, 09:29 PM

Default Slow but fun

The FFF deal in western NC was nice. The turn out was not stellar, but the Ramsey Centers at the college is a first class venue. I think they are having it there again next year. I was pleased to see Dave Ezell, Mike Bryant, Steve Moore and couple others from our neck of the woods there. Ian and Charity Rutter, Jim Casada and STM were on the main street isle of the show within rubber shooting distance of each other. I had dinner with Jim Friday night, and Ian, Charity and children Satuday night. I suppose it was a sort of a moonshiner makers reunion. I think about half of the contributors to STM were there; Jimmy Jacobs, Bob Borgwait, Bill Bernhart, Ron Gaddy, and Matt Green. I darn near ran out of cigars, but I picked up a couple smokes too---so thankie!!

It appears fishing on the other side of the mountain is like on the TN; overly blessed with water--up 10-inches for year right now. "Water water every where, but not a slow pool to drift...."

The average of we there seeming to getting older. At 60 years old, I was probably a tad on the younger side, which is a little disturbing. I think fly fishing in the South is well represented by a lot of young guns. However, I also believe that young guns are a bit like us oldsters in "the day..." Like us when we were 20-30 years old, we were fishing in May, not going to some ****ed fishing show. Sooner or later though, they will slow and make the show...
Old 05-20-2013, 12:03 PM

Thanks for fhe good report, Don. Mrs. Maps fell and I decided I should stick around. She has been my nurse on my falls. I'm anxious to hear from Mike about the fundraiser.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:14 PM

JoeFred, I looked for you Saturday but they did not use name tags unless you were a flytyer or exhibitor I believe, so looks like by your reply above you did not get a chance to attend. I got there about 10:30 AM and had a great day. I had on my LRO Brook Trout Restoration shirt so quite a few asked me about there being no Troutfest this year and how were Paula and Byron. I ran into Mike and he said the Friday night BBcue did well. The Tennessee Smokies folks were well represented by Ian & Charity Rutter's informative seminar as well as a GSNP booth manned by Steve Moore. Jim Casada had his booth and as always giving great insight into the park to everyone who stopped by. Don Kirk was at his booth and honored his promise of a cigar to anyone who stopped by (Don, I smoked mine on the Clinch Sunday afternoon after the storm passed). He only made you promise to tell anyone that asked how much younger he looks in person. So here is my testomonial "He is very lifelike in person"! I had signed up for the 1:30 pm free "Fish Ed Heeg's favorite fishing spots", I promptly showed up at 1:20 and found out I was the group probably due to the rain! Ed showed up saw it was just me and said what do you want to do? I said you tell me and he than asked where I had fished over in NC, after I told him my laundry list of rivers and streams I had done, he said what about the Nantahala? I said no, he said let's go, I followed him 39 miles from Western Carolina, about 10-15 miles past the NOC and we dropped in for two hours of guide led fly fishing schooling that would have taken me years to learn on my on maybe. All I can say was when some of these people say I took 40 to hand that day, I now see how the experts do it. Ed took in to 10-15, a mix of brook, and bows in under two hours while dragging a knucklehead upstream ( that would be me not a Byron LRO fly!). Ed had to leave and I spent two more hours fishing the Nantahala, the amazing part was it cost nothing, it was a free seminar, it just goes to show you never know when it's gonna be a Forest Gump it's your box of chocolates day!

It was a long day but a great one and I sugggest if you get the chance go to an event near you and sign up for any free advice someone's willing to give and share it with the next person. Thanks to all I talked to there and especially a big thank you to Ed Heeg and a great expierence on a beautiful piece of water!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 PM

Default Age ...

I spent Friday at the event. My first time at anything like this related to fishing. I needed a days rest after three days fishing earlier in the week
Old 05-21-2013, 10:16 AM

I was there Friday evening and Saturday mid-day. I also was a little disappointed at the turnout. I thought a rainy Saturday would cause the attendance to go up.

Not to be a complainer....but danged the music was loud at the Film Tour. I had to leave at intermission because of it. My ears are still ringing.