Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 PM

Default Clinch 5/21

Got on the water around 1:30 at the church. Only two others in sight. Relatively few bugs until about 3 pm and then Mother Nature turned the bug nursery loose. They came down the river in waves spaced about ten minutes apart. The trout loved it, rises everywhere. For the next two hours it was a blast. Fishing a double nymph rig it was either fish on or missed strike every third cast or so. I truly lost count but 15-20 would be an honest estimate. Size was consistently between 13-16 inches, all rainbows, nice fat rainbows. Mother Nature ended the fun with a thunderstorm. Mr. TWRA was in the parking lot gathering creel and river info but did not check my license, even though I offered to show it to him.
Ms. Annie had a ball too, showing more interest in fish now than she ever has for some reason. Being a Lab though, I still cannot get her to point on trout!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:45 PM

I was there today too.
I love bugs.

4X
Old 05-21-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
I share your thoughts Rodney. I only fished it three times last year, and even gave up on my property access this year. Had a few run-ins with people with very poor fishing etiquette, and found that I was focusing too much exclusively on the Clinch. Gone were the days of chasing fish on the Holston, South Holston, Hiwassee, Caney Fork, Watauga, and in the park... I am hoping to get back to that this year.

What was an uncrowded river this past weekend has turned into an unmitigated zoo in a matter of days. I understand you and Rod's sentiments perfectly, and the crowds drove me from the Clinch years ago, I still sneak back from time to time, but it is usually before the crowds begin after everyone starts spreading the word.

The time has come to vanish for the summer, thankfully there are other places and species which get far less attention. Or should I say that those who chase those species in those places keeps a very low profile to protect the sanctuaries that remain.

I can share the water with other fly fisherman generally, and had a good time visiting today with some old friends I hadn't seen in a while, but the spillage of intel attracts a much more unsavory river guest, those who kill with no regard for etiquette, limits, or ethics in general.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
What was an uncrowded river this past weekend has turned into an unmitigated zoo in a matter of days. I understand you and Rod's sentiments perfectly, and the crowds drove me from the Clinch years ago, I still sneak back from time to time, but it is usually before the crowds begin after everyone starts spreading the word.

The time has come to vanish for the summer, thankfully there are other places and species which get far less attention. Or should I say that those who chase those species in those places keeps a very low profile to protect the sanctuaries that remain.

I can share the water with other fly fisherman generally, and had a good time visiting today with some old friends I hadn't seen in a while, but the spillage of intel attracts a much more unsavory river guest, those who kill with no regard for etiquette, limits, or ethics in general.
Jim,
I hate that you punish yourself for the acts of others. I enjoy the freedom of having the river to myself as well. However; I know that it is not mine and I am glad to share and see others enjoy it as well.

I tend to disagree with your last statement. I believe most of the members on this forum are fly fisherman and they tend to be some of the most respectful people I meet on the river. It could be that the weir dam access is closed and all the fish mongers have migrated to other spaces. They seem to be most lacking in fishing etiquette, laws, regulations, etc.

We need to promote the Clinch as a premiere fishery and promote conservation of this precious resource. Trust me; in the near future-we will all long for the days when a few fly fisherman on the water were our worries. Development will imp-roach on the Clinch and slowly erode the beauty of this fishery. The only way to thwart this is to be more involved in local politics.

There are lobbyist right now trying to get certain areas of the Clinch rezoned for mass development. They have the money connections and do not worry about the Clinch as a resource; only for their next cash cow and maybe some bank's next bankruptcy burden.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Jim,

I tend to disagree with your last statement. I believe most of the members on this forum are fly fisherman and they tend to be some of the most respectful people I meet on the river. It could be that the weir dam access is closed and all the fish mongers have migrated to other spaces. They seem to be most lacking in fishing etiquette, laws, regulations, etc.

The posters I know who post here are all great folks and not the people I am mentioning in my previous post. I would be happy to spend a day on the water with any of them, and have spent time on the water with most of them.

I am specifically speaking about the bait slingers, bucket brigade, and folks who use the river as a grocery store.

They read forums and when glowing reports start flowing it not only attracts hoards of fly fisherman it also attracts hoards of bait fisherman as well.

Just something to keep in mind before myself or anyone else decides to boast about how great the Clinch or any river is fishing.

As I said before, generally most fly fisherman are courteous and pleasant to be around on the river. The same cannot be said for the lower class of angler which we share the river with unfortunately.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:16 AM

Default Clinch yesterday

My opinion, for what it's worth .....

Anybody who has fished the Clinch in any form or fashion with any regularity pretty much knows what to expect, where and when. My saying/sharing with others on this board that I had a good day in a certain location on the river should not be disclosing any big secret. I seriously doubt it has much influence at all whether more people head to the river.

So, this begs the question; why have a place to share this information? Does it promote business for the sponsor, LRO? To a certain extent, sure. Is that bad? **** no! Does it promote interest in fishing, fly or otherwise? Sure it does. Next time you are out fishing take a look around to see how many young people are enjoying the sport. From my personal experience, you are going to see far more white hair out there than 20 somethings. I am all for disconnecting as many kids as possible from their XBox to discover the great outdoors.

As Madison Boats points out, the river is a resource for all of us. Let's share it, take care of it, protect it and encourage others to do the same.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 AM

I think 'Wolf needs a "secret message" board to post on.

4X
Old 05-22-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old east tn boy View Post
My opinion, for what it's worth .....

Anybody who has fished the Clinch in any form or fashion with any regularity pretty much knows what to expect, where and when. My saying/sharing with others on this board that I had a good day in a certain location on the river should not be disclosing any big secret. I seriously doubt it has much influence at all whether more people head to the river.

So, this begs the question; why have a place to share this information? Does it promote business for the sponsor, LRO? To a certain extent, sure. Is that bad? **** no! Does it promote interest in fishing, fly or otherwise? Sure it does. Next time you are out fishing take a look around to see how many young people are enjoying the sport. From my personal experience, you are going to see far more white hair out there than 20 somethings. I am all for disconnecting as many kids as possible from their XBox to discover the great outdoors.

As Madison Boats points out, the river is a resource for all of us. Let's share it, take care of it, protect it and encourage others to do the same.
We have to share on here, you can't tell your wife or family, she thinks your at Lowes picking out paint for the bedroom! All kidding aside I agree with your mention above about the steadily aging fly fishing cadre on the river. I see the same thing whether on the river, TU meetings, or my Ski Patrol group in winter. I think this should be a burning issue for all of these groups for so many reasons, the passing of knowledge to those starting out, the continued conservation of our outdoors regardless of sports and support for the fly fishing organizations. Everyone of the younger set I have met on the rivers and streams have been very respectful and like me ask millions of questions of those we feel have the skills we are trying to acheive.( It only saddens me that after talking to me they look so disappointed, they soon find out not all old people are smart!) One of the curent Fly Fishing Federation magazines has a cover shot and a great article on an 18 year old casiting champion and in the interview he talks about the things that could help attract younger people to the sport. It also does not hurt that he looks like a young Brad Pitt, but he is the real deal with a family owned business and support for the sport. See ya on the river!

I added to this link to a fly fisherman mailing list that can be purchased for advertisers last updated in April ,2013 that shows average demographics in bottom left of article. They left out how many beers and lies told per year!

http://lists.nextmark.com/market;jsessionid=5A00FB4E22F2E8FA3FE2482E386B0B81 ?page=order/online/datacard&id=122064

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Last edited by bigsur; 05-22-2013 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: More useless statistics for endless discussions
Old 05-22-2013, 11:05 AM

Red face

I understand everyone who has the opposite view from me, and you all make valid points as well.

**** I was in the business of sharing info for almost 10 years while working in the Creel and add on another 6 while I was guiding here in east tn. I know for certain I was largely responsible for dramatically increasing crowds on all of the areas rivers. Especially the Cumberland and Holston. Back in the day there was no one and I mean zero people from east tn fishing the Cumberland until Scott Rogers went up and discovered how amazing it was, naturally he informed me and others who were close and we started the snowball rolling. Same with the Holston I think Mike Bone and I were the first to float from Indian Cave to Nances in a drift boat and not a week later we were both guiding on that stretch.

As I have matured I enjoy peace and being places where I or the folks with me are the only ones around. The details of my days afield I generally only share with a handful of close friends or anyone obviously is with me.

I'm happy to help with any body who has questions about the river or how something is fishing, but I am not going to broadcast every trip report or every hot fishing I encounter. Just not my thing anymore, and in some ways I feel it is boastful, which should fit me perfectly since my ego can be rather large on occasion

So I get the other sides view and maybe my current views stem from having seen the negative aspects of spreading stories

Both the above mentioned are well known now of course, with the Cumberland virtually dead sadly.

And on the age of fly fisherman, if anyone thinks this sport is aging out they need to drive around campus, pick up a magazine, watch tv shows, surf the Internet, or just go to the river and see that there are more young folks doing this than ever before.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:21 PM

As a 26 year old, I would put myself in the "younger" crowd. However, I have a great job and have both a Bachelors and Masters degree. As I recently posted on the Introduction forum, I am very new to the clinch and do not know a soul here to ask about river conditions except maybe the guys at 3RA. I check the forum multiple times a day and mostly, it is slow around here with information coming in on how the water is fishing. However, a simple google search or walking in to most outfitters or Bass Pro Shops, you can find a fishing report of some sort. It may not have the detail you could get here but you can get an idea.

I say that to say, this is the world as we know it today. Technology is playing a huge part in what we do and learn. I deer hunt, duck hunt, fly fish, and bass fish and I am a member of forums that is devoted to each of those. Some message boards have a specific forum for reports that is locked to only members and I'm sure some of you know, it is hard as heck to become a member of this board. I had to call LRO twice and finally got them to send me a PW. (That could be a solution.)

It would be nice every time I hit the woods or water, I was the only person out there with maybe a few other respectable people. This is my escape from the mainstream. However, the things that you older guys can teach and influence through your posts can really make an impact on how my generation carries themselves on the river. I am not telling you something you do not already know, but fly fishing is a league of its on. There will always be those assholes that have zero etiquette and respect for others.

Sorry, just my two cents.