Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-02-2013, 01:44 PM

Default Watch out for them snakes!

Left the house yesterday morning for the mountains. I stopped off in Townsend for some breakfast and a chat with the guys at LRO. Then it was off to the middle prong of the little river. I went up above Tremont caught a couple decent sized bows and had a lot of little ones nipping at my dry flies. I sat down a rock on streamside to change out fly and dropper, with my feet sitting in the cool water, when a copperhead swam out from beside the rock within inches of my ankle and headed for the opposite shore. What a day to pick to start wet wading!
Old 06-02-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Left the house yesterday morning for the mountains. I stopped off in Townsend for some breakfast and a chat with the guys at LRO. Then it was off to the middle prong of the little river. I went up above Tremont caught a couple decent sized bows and had a lot of little ones nipping at my dry flies. I sat down a rock on streamside to change out fly and dropper, with my feet sitting in the cool water, when a copperhead swam out from beside the rock within inches of my ankle and headed for the opposite shore. What a day to pick to start wet wading!
Sure it was a copperhead? Northern watersnakes are often mistaken for copperheads, and the fact that you saw it in the water leads me to believe it was the non-venomous of the two.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-02-2013, 04:47 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Sure it was a copperhead? Northern watersnakes are often mistaken for copperheads, and the fact that you saw it in the water leads me to believe it was the non-venomous of the two.
That would be my vote. Unless it has a big triangular head, the color pattern is so close to a copperhead it will raise a few hairs for sure

If they are a watersnake they put off a nasty smelling musk if you try to catch one. I watched a buddy learn the hard way in my teen years I always just leave them alone.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:35 PM

I agree. Last week when we first got in town we pulled off by the water and seen 2 snakes in the river then. Same colors as the copperhead but round eyes and normal heads.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:39 PM

I was in my float tube on Little River below Walland last night and saw a northern water snake about 6' away from me. Fortunately he went the other way quickly. I did keep a warey eay out for him the rest of the evening.

God Bless,
Dances with Trou

Last edited by Dances with Trout; 06-02-2013 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-02-2013, 11:27 PM

Default Too little to late for Aubie

I am the first to admit that northern water snakes look a lot like copperheads, especially when you first see them between your legs. This is why I stomp the snot out of them before properly IDing serpents later at autopsy. A vivid case in point is what happened last week to Craig Haney, our Editor-At-Large for STM. He let Aubie, his 7 year terrier (not sure what kind as all of those Scots look alike to me), on the front porch of his home at Bluff Park, (a nice area of Birmingham with 7/24 electricity) where the mutt was promptly nailed on its nose by 18-inch copperhead. S700 worth of anti-venom later the pup is scrappy and expected to recover. Unfortunately, according to Craig, the copperhead did not survive the incident. It was cleanly dispatched by a Remington 1100 spitting #7s. No vet bill for the viper. What was it Tecumseh Sherman said about copperheads? Oh yeah, the only good copperhead is a dead copperhead.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:42 AM

Education is its own reward.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:04 AM

If you want to see snakes, head to the Hiwassee. I've never seen so many snakes around a river.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:12 AM

Last year I tubed down the Little River with my family from around the park entrance down through town. There were hundreds of folks out tubing that section that hot day. Some boys camping at the Tremont campground next to the river had affixed a rubber snake (which looked very much like a copperhead) to the end of a line and casted it up over a tree limb out over the stream. They had the other end on a fishing rod and when people would tube under that tree they would release the line and let the snake fall right down on top of them. I have never seen so many people screaming and carrying on. We stopped and watched they just kept doing it over and over.

By the way I saw a timber rattler crossing Tremont Rd. on Saturday afternoon on its way to the river.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 06-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Copperhead or northern water snake... i give them all the right of way.