Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 06-02-2013, 01:53 PM

Default Greenbrier Fishing with Ducky

Fishing yesterday was pretty good with Duckypaddler up on Greenbrier

Sadly he lost his camera along the way somewhere and he had some good pictures of some good fish.

I really didn't take too many pictures, but here they are anyway

The manway out was quite a trip, really easy to hike, when we managed to stay on it, but I have a feeling it will be easier to follow in the future
Old 06-02-2013, 04:42 PM

Talking

Thanks for posting. Unless my camera was on the manway, I believe where I changed is underwater so my camera is probably long gone

Just couldn't motivate myself to go back up there yesterday.

Least the rain came I hope the fisherman out today are being cautious and react quickly to changing situations

Little river is already above 3 feet ,and Tellico rose from 2-5 feet in 30 minutes

Ooh and has anyone else who keeps fish ever notice calcium deposits in trout's stomach? I found 2 that are the size of a pea in a Brookie we kept, and had never seen it before. When I goggled it, I came up with visceral granuloma. Only real reference to wild Brookie said that because of acid deposition some metals are leached into the water. Not even sure if this is the cause, and will be asking our fisheries biologists. I will try and get a picture of them and post it.

Nathan it was great to get out there with you, hopefully we can do it again soon

And yes manways through rhodo are always better when you stay on them It's amazing how hot you get from swimming through it. I downed all my water, and was real glad I had filled it before we started. I figured out my error. As I was following sign from the week previous I missed the spot where we back tracked by that down hardwood where we should have angled down to the right at 45 degrees which would have led us right down to where we saw the old piece of flagging from my waypoint. For a path that is so obvious in the winter, it can sure be hard to find in the end of May with lush growth everywhere. I'll do my best not to get us "displaced" next time.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Thanks for posting. Unless my camera was on the manway, I believe where I changed is underwater so my camera is probably long gone

I'll do my best not to get us "displaced" next time.
Man, I hate that you lost your camera, DP. I can somewhat relate having misplaced my unisured cell phone while on an out of town work assignment in Wisconsin. I was able to hear it ringing when calling it from the office for a number of times, but the hotel staff was unable to hear it. Then all of a sudden I couldn't get it to ring. Later in the day, the hotel called reporting their snowblower had chewed it up and spit it out.

I like your use of the term “displaced.” Daniel Boone, when asked by someone if he had ever become lost in the wilderness, replied “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks.”

Thanks to you and Nathan for the good posts.
– JF
Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
I like your use of the term “displaced.” Daniel Boone, when asked by someone if he had ever become lost in the wilderness, replied “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks.”
– JF
I had my gps so I knew exactly where I was

Not that it helps when you surrounded by rhodo with no path in sight

In fact if it was on the manway it is more than likely I lost it on one of my 4 or so falls. With all the downed wood and trees it was hard to tell where the ground was under all the vegetation. Felt like when you are crossing a stream with stained water and you cant see where you are stepping. While the water will be much too high to try tomorrow, I'll most likely give it a shot next weekend if I'm not too worn out from the SMHC hike Crockett and Amanda are leading to Hornet Tree Top
Old 06-02-2013, 09:52 PM

sorry to hear about the lost camera. Even though that happened every thing else looked good for you guys. I personally love greenbriar. It is possibly one of my most favorite streams in those mountains. I take a small 7' 7" 3wt in that area and have a blast.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Nathan it was great to get out there with you, hopefully we can do it again soon
Yeah I had a great time! We have a pretty big list of over night and multi night trips that better get on some of those soon!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Sadly he lost his camera along the way somewhere and he had some good pictures of some good fish.
Maybe you can go 2 for 2....??
If anyone can find it, you can.

Nice fish!

Tight Lines,
Old 06-03-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnflyfisher View Post
Maybe you can go 2 for 2....??
If anyone can find it, you can.

Nice fish!

Tight Lines,

I Don't know, I never found Jason's camera that's some where in the pick up sticks pile of downed 3' diameter spruce forest on the top of Big Cataloochie Mtn...
Old 06-07-2013, 01:25 PM

Thanks for sharing your awesome adventure; I suppose you hiked up a good distance? I love catching brookies in pretty places.

My much younger cousin Chris hiked up to Ramsey falls the other day and shared awesome pictures & video but cautioned me on the treachery of the steep hike with my heart, fused ankle and back problems.... looks like I will only be able to enjoy Upper Greenbriar through the experiences of you young guys. Keep the pic's and stories coming; greatly enjoyed....

The river is howling now; so you'll likely not fish it this week-end and have a chance at finding your camera.

We should all put our name on stuff so if found it might be returned; so easy to drop stuff in rugged places.... I dropped a cell phone in the snow while deer hunting in Maine... fortunately I followed my footprints in the snow and kept dialing with another phone until I found it!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Thanks for sharing your awesome adventure; I suppose you hiked up a good distance? I love catching brookies in pretty places.

My much younger cousin Chris hiked up to Ramsey falls the other day and shared awesome pictures & video but cautioned me on the treachery of the steep hike with my heart, fused ankle and back problems.... looks like I will only be able to enjoy Upper Greenbriar through the experiences of you young guys. Keep the pic's and stories coming; greatly enjoyed....

The river is howling now; so you'll likely not fish it this week-end and have a chance at finding your camera.

We should all put our name on stuff so if found it might be returned; so easy to drop stuff in rugged places.... I dropped a cell phone in the snow while deer hunting in Maine... fortunately I followed my footprints in the snow and kept dialing with another phone until I found it!
Depending on the day we hiked up just far enough till it starts to climb

Then we hit the river to avoid the beautiful, but tougher than elevation grade would make you think, rest of hike to the falls

River is at 1.9 this morning which is a healthy low flow - For Boating
Probably too high for a recovery mission tomorrow as well

My info should be on the memory card, but where I lost it doesn't get fished much due to remoteness, so unless a hardcore off-trailer or fisherman finds it. At least it's silver

I'm heading your way now, and if I lived at your house my commute sure would be shorter.

And there are several roadside spots that offer excellent fishing to old decrepit Men who can no longer wander the wilderness