Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-01-2013, 05:39 PM

Default What is working on the Clinch?

I followed the great advice given to me, bought some of Lefy's yarn and headed to Miller's Island this morning. The place was packed so I picked my spot and started fishing. I felt the fishing activity was slow until I watched the guy 30 yards from me as he caught fish after fish. I would guess he caught 30 or more. I tried a red zebra midge, brown zebra midge, emergers, olive scud, olive split case, and several others with little luck. In did miss about 5 strikes that I wouldn't have even know about otherwise, but I only landed 2 fish. It was my slowest day on the clinch in years. I've been fly fishing for about four years but given my struggles the first year I would borrow a Dooley term and call that summernyear zero. So the question is....what are you guysbhaving luck with right now?
Old 06-01-2013, 10:39 PM

That could have been me this morning. I had a pretty good morning at Miller's but then couldn't figure it out at the church around 11. I was using a parachute sulphur with a zebra dropper.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:05 PM

May not be that you are using the wrong fly, but one of the following:
  • Wrong size (I prefer #17 sulfur/bhpt or #22 zebra midges)
  • Too heavy tippet (I use 6X fluoro 99% of the time on the Clinch)
  • Too short of a leader (I always use 12' on the Clinch)
  • Indicator color (white seems to be much less spooky)
Those are a few of the things I have learned in my years of Clinch fishing, and have found are common issues with novice Clinch flyfishermen.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-02-2013, 05:30 AM

Try a #16 split case on a 16"-2' drop depending on the depth you are fishing. Trim you indicator up nice and neat with some scissors. Make it small; and add some float-ant to help it present.

Let your presentations play out. Try to maximize each try and let out line to last longer. One big no no is limit false casts with a passion. Shooting casts & reach casts are key techniques. Try to throw you fly to a dead zone above the area you are targeting. Think of that area as a dead zone. Also; practice letting the fly float down to the water like a parachute instead of slapping it (reach cast).

Slow drag or bump your fly before you reset your cast. It is amazing how many fish are sitting there ready to take.

In the early am throw olive midges with black beads-heavy (tungsten). It is insane how many midges are coming off in the morning. Just notice all the empty shucks floating on the water film.

If none of these work; throw a soft hackle fly that looks like a sulphur nymph and slow bump it (2-3") in the water like a streamer. You should catch 20-30 in a few hours right now with this method. However; it is a lot of work and you have to cast stealthy to not spook the area you are fishing.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-03-2013, 01:35 PM

Thanks guys. I'll give these suggestions a try. I feel like I may not have had the strike indicator set at the correct depth and perhaps I need to go smaller on some of the flies. Most of what I was fishing were 18-20.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:35 PM

After I had a pretty good day on Saturday, my buddy from Montana was in town for a few days and we hit The Clinch yesterday afternoon. He is a guide out there and has fished all over the world but never been on The Clinch.

I have been bragging to him that The Clinch has been fishing pretty good right now. With that said, we fished for probably 2 hours without the first bite or even seeing a fish rise. He finally hooked up with a dang nice rainbow that was 18-20 inches. In all, there was no hatch and it was really slow. It seemed the action started right at dark and the fish were really picky to what they were taking.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerG10 View Post
After I had a pretty good day on Saturday, my buddy from Montana was in town for a few days and we hit The Clinch yesterday afternoon. He is a guide out there and has fished all over the world but never been on The Clinch.

I have been bragging to him that The Clinch has been fishing pretty good right now. With that said, we fished for probably 2 hours without the first bite or even seeing a fish rise. He finally hooked up with a dang nice rainbow that was 18-20 inches. In all, there was no hatch and it was really slow. It seemed the action started right at dark and the fish were really picky to what they were taking.
He Tyler, Sorry you and your buddy had a slow day when you wanted the Clinch to show off. What part of Montana does your friend live in? I've got relatives there and go there as often as finances and the wife allow.
Where were you fishing yesterday? I was there early and did OK. If you want to , email me at memcconk@gmail.com and we can talk some about places to target on the river. By the way, the Cooke's stores in Cleveland used to be good customers of mine.

Mke
Old 06-05-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g022271 View Post
He Tyler, Sorry you and your buddy had a slow day when you wanted the Clinch to show off. What part of Montana does your friend live in? I've got relatives there and go there as often as finances and the wife allow.
Where were you fishing yesterday? I was there early and did OK. If you want to , email me at memcconk@gmail.com and we can talk some about places to target on the river. By the way, the Cooke's stores in Cleveland used to be good customers of mine.

Mke
He lives around the Gallatin/Madison area. He is begging me to come out there around August when his season starts to slow down. Hopefully I will be able to get out there because I have never fly fished West of the Mississippi.

I will shoot you an email here in a little bit.