Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-05-2013, 09:18 AM

Default Access to Cane Creek and Laurel Lake Tailwaters in KY

Hello Everybody,

I need some tips on accessing trout waters in the London/Corbin, KY area. I've heard that Cane Creek is a good place for trout fishing, but the directions on the KY Fish & Wildlife web site focus on the upstream portion where I just get lost in miles of trails and gravel roads and never have found much water. What is the best way to access the trout waters? I was wondering if the Rockcastle Connector 401A from Bee Rock might be more direct. Any suggestions?

Also, I was wondering if any portion of the Laurel River Tailwaters is accessible for fishing by foot. I know it's too steep and swift close to the dam, but according to the map it looks like the Sheltowee Trace Trail follows the Laurel River downstream to the Mouth of Laurel boat ramp where it flows into the Cumberland. But when I drove to the boat ramp, I didn't see the trail so I'm not sure how close it is to the water or how steep. F&W is supposed to release trout there and I was optimistic about checking it out, but I'm starting to wonder if it's off-limits for someone without a boat.

On a less-frustrated note, I did discover nearby Bark Camp Creek and found it to be a wonderful spot. It was easy to find and beautiful, and I'm hoping to find another sweet spot or two close to home. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Jessica
Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 AM

I am not familiar with these waters but have an interest due to family visits in Louisville Ky. I found this Forest Service list which leads to monthly and annual stocking schedules which may lead to your questions. Hope it helps, just copy and paste in your search bar. Thanks for the idea only bad part now I goota buy another state license!

http://fw.ky.gov/troutsched.asp

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 06-05-2013, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the link, bigsur. Yes, the stocking schedule says they stock trout in both locations, and you wouldn't think it would be so hard to figure out how to get to them. I forgot to mention that forest service roads were gated shut miles away from the water when I attempted to access Cane Creek, both from the south and from the north. That's frustrating after driving so far, and I'm willing to try hiking a mile or two again if I just know for sure where I'm going! It would be a bad place to get lost.

I got a reply from someone on the Sheltowee Trace Facebook page saying that the trail does go alongside the Laurel tailwaters; it's just hard to find because it's at the top of the hill before you get to the boat ramp and is sometimes overgrown with weeds. They thought the river might be accessible from it though.

If you're interested in fishing that far south on trips to Louisville, I recommend checking out Rock Creek near Stearns, KY if you haven't already. It's close to the TN line. It's a nice place to fish; my husband and I just don't get down there very often but we really enjoyed it when we were there. He has been flyfishing for a long time but isn't that familiar with local waters because he moved here from Oregon. I've lived here all my life but am relatively new to flyfishing. It would be nice to make connections with other flyfishers in our area who already know the ropes, but it doesn't seem nearly as popular here as it is down in TN or up in the Bluegrass. I'd like to see that change!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:03 AM

I am well west of you in Bowling Green and spend most time on bluegills. There are a couple of trout stocked streams this way Allen Co-Petroleum and another over at Simpson Co.

Have you been to Lake Cumberland tailwaters? I wade so I have not found anything too useful for me but it great for those with boats.

Also there is a stream up at Ft. Knox just outside the base that might be good to try. Derby City Fly Fishers have info on their page.

If you guys come to the quasi-west section of the state let me know
Old 06-06-2013, 01:30 PM

Thanks, Streamhound. We've visited just below the Wolf Creek dam but don't have a boat to go down the river either. Thanks for the information and hospitality!
Old 06-10-2013, 03:36 PM

I have fished Cane creek in a very specific area for years. If interested you can contact me at william dot mclemore01 at gmail dot com.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:37 PM

Thank you!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 PM

I've fished both streams many times. I prefer bark camp.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamhound View Post
I am well west of you in Bowling Green and spend most time on bluegills. There are a couple of trout stocked streams this way Allen Co-Petroleum and another over at Simpson Co.

Have you been to Lake Cumberland tailwaters? I wade so I have not found anything too useful for me but it great for those with boats.

Also there is a stream up at Ft. Knox just outside the base that might be good to try. Derby City Fly Fishers have info on their page.

If you guys come to the quasi-west section of the state let me know
Streamhound, that is Otter Creek in Otter Creek Outdoor Recreation Area. I work for the Kentucky Department of Fish and Widlife Resources at Otter Creek. Quality catch and release stream (Oct. 1-March 31) for trout and a very underrated smallmouth stream. If any of you are ever up this way, let me know and we can fish.

Bigsur, if you are visiting family in Louisville you should definitely bring a rod and some waders. Otter Creek is not far from anywhere in Louisville.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:30 PM

Just read your post and reply, thanks for the shoutout and will keep your invite in mind. Tha same goes for here if you make it this way!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"