Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 AM

As a side note...

I live out in the Texas panhandle, a world away from most of you guys. My brother in law is a rancher (a real cowboy, on horseback every day). Several years ago he went to rounding up rattlesnakes on his ranch as certain areas were infested with them and when they bite cattle, it makes the cow very sick and can even kill them.

The times to "hunt" for rattlers are in the spring and fall, when they are near their dens. There have been seasons when he has caught HUNDREDS of the critters from a single area!

He sells them to some folks in Oklahoma by the pound, ALIVE.

Come visit West Texas some time!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 AM

Not sure how relevant some of this other information is but yes, likely a water snake so no worries. In the unlikely event that it was a copperhead and did actually bite you, it wouldn't amount to much more than a spoiled afternoon of fishing. Painful as it may be, with proper care you would be fine. Timber rattlers on the other hand are another story... Only other snake you will likely see is the northern black racer, which I see the most. A harmless snake but can become very aggressive and will bite if not left alone. Remember that all snakes at least in the GSMNP are to be left alone and certainly not killed...

Regarding the venomous pit vipers that reside within the Smokies, it takes a lot of energy for a snake to produce and store venom. They need it to survive and will in fact ration it out at times. They can tell that we are not food and will often bite without injecting any venom at all. This is referred to as a dry bite and is often a defensive move for the snake. Along those same lines, it is also thought that younger, less mature snakes have not learned how to ration their venom yet with a bite often emptying their entire venom reserves. Something to remember when you think that the small baby copperhead you come across might be somehow less dangerous.

Tight Lines,
Old 06-03-2013, 04:04 PM

Default Sound advice

I agree about killing copperheads and rattlers in the park. You do not want to get caught doing so. This pretty well rules out shooting them unless you have a silencer (this are readily available on the Internet). Were I to kill a copperhead in the park, and I am certainly saying I would, I would however dispose of the carcass off trail and probably not report my action at the Sugarlands. Heaven knows the rangers have enough to do guiding people to see lightening bugs than to waste their time arresting you dispatching one more headache (waiting to strike...) and pistol wiping additional information from you would be a waste of valuable time and resources. Of course, if you are Catholic, I would recommend getting off your chest the next time you go Mass. We Holy Rollers fess up using our DIRECT LINE, you know, sorta cutting out the middleman.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:35 PM

killing snakes in the wild is bad juju for me.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:13 PM

Natural reaction tought from birth in my family.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:37 AM

Don Kirk, In reference to a prayer after dispatching a snake to the great beyond, my favorite plea to soothe my soul is: Dear Lord, forgive me for taking the life of one of your critters; but then again, better him than me!! flyguys
Old 06-08-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguys View Post
Don Kirk, In reference to a prayer after dispatching a snake to the great beyond, my favorite plea to soothe my soul is: Dear Lord, forgive me for taking the life of one of your critters; but then again, better him than me!! flyguys
Amen brother!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:31 AM

Hey I have a machete that I keep in the garage for hacking down those stubborn weeds that will not die with the weed eater. Would it be in appropriate to carry it with me when im fishing in the gsmnp? Haha Just kidding!
Old 06-08-2013, 01:09 PM

I refer to snakes as the beady eyed hand puppet of satan. I get this from the garden of Edan.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:49 PM

Now flyred06 I know how much you love rattle snakes.