Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-09-2013, 02:00 AM

Default Very Interesting.....

Found this on another forum. I think it was posted from a member that is registered here also.

Max Bothwell, a research scientist for Environment Canada, who wrote an influential article that linked angler's felt soled boots to dydimo spread has now reversed himself and said that anglers are not responsible.

Here is his original article, On the Boots of Fishermen:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wat/wq/stud...ymo-blooms.pdf

He now believes that dydimo has been in North American waters and that it is a change in water chemistry, specifically lower phosphorus levels that has caused dydimo blooms.

Read the article in the current issue of American Angler, July-August, 2013, pp 8-9.

"'I no longer believe the problem is North American streams is the result of it (dydimo) being moved around.' . Scientists are now convinced that dydimo lives in many streams, but blooms only when the water has far less than the normal amount of phosphorus The most damaging dydimo episode in the US seems to have been on Rapid Creek in South dakota, where a six-mile bloom dramatically impacted a blue ribbon brown trout fishery. In 2007 and 2008, Bothwell and other scientists added phosphorus to sections of Rapid Creek. Sure enough, the dydimo mats shrank."
Old 06-09-2013, 07:07 PM

I read that, too. But the article also says:
"...and he says he doesn't regret concluding that anglers were spreading didymo from stream to stream.
He goes on to say:
"There are a lot of diseases and things that can be spread that way."
What's interesting is what follows:
And don't think simply switching to sticky rubber boots solves the problem, says Bob Wiltshire, executive director of the Invasive Species Action Network in Livingston, Montana.

"There is no doubt that someone with rubber boots that are not clean poses a greater risk than someone with felt soles who has cleaned," Wiltshire says. "Cleaning is the most important thing for everyone."
It is just me or does it bother anyone else that because some "expert" has a theory and writes an article condemning the use of something without having thoroughly researched other potential causes, it resulted in unneeded, knee-jerk legislation (like we don't have enough of that already), and caused a bunch of responsible fisherman to have to fork out more of their hard-earned money, both of which had a negligible - if any - effect on the original issue?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2bfishin View Post
It is just me or does it bother anyone else that because some "expert" has a theory and writes an article condemning the use of something without having thoroughly researched other potential causes, it resulted in unneeded, knee-jerk legislation (like we don't have enough of that already), and caused a bunch of responsible fisherman to have to fork out more of their hard-earned money, both of which had a negligible - if any - effect on the original issue?
Might you be referring to ...... Obamacare ?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher View Post
Might you be referring to ...... Obamacare ?
Well, not specifically. But if the waders fit....
Old 06-13-2013, 11:22 AM

Seems that a lot of folks got to buy new boots out of the deal, so I am sure that there could not have been a commercial angle to all of this...

I am still trying to justify new boots to myself before I can buy em