Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-14-2013, 12:17 PM

hit a ground hornet nest one time mowing the back yard. another reason to dislike lawn care.

I give the snakes a wide birth when fishing since they can be plentiful around my lakes in KY
Old 06-15-2013, 07:28 AM

Default Snake observations

As a casual observer / listener I have noted a few trends:

1) Snake sightings = good fishing / good hunting. Seems like whenever someone spills the beans in a public manner someone else always says "oh but my oh my there are a whole lot of snakes, copperheads and rattlers in there - fierce ones too that are not scared of people". I now write off locations if I can't locate at least one anecdote about the copperheads in the area.

2) Every snake in East TN is a copperhead.

3) Copperheads have an amazing ability to carry hoses & rope and have a propensity to leave them behind as evidence of their passing. This observation is based on five years as a homeowner's association president in a very urban neighborhood that has what I believe to be the highest density of copperheads in the world... And excellent fishing in two small lakes.

Bonus:

Urban coyotes sightings associated with recent departures of neighborhood cats / dogs are usually made by the wife of the neighbor who was recently complaining the most about the missing cat / dog bothering their garden, bird feeder, garbage can etc.

Dave

Last edited by dwardmba; 06-15-2013 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: Typo - hate them
Old 06-15-2013, 08:54 PM

Definitely sounds legit...
The fierce copperhead, least poisonous snake in North America..

Tight Lines,
Old 06-16-2013, 09:51 AM

Copperheads that's nothing
I am completely unsure but claim the snakes around the lake are either cobras or worse than that hoop snakes
Old 06-16-2013, 11:32 AM

in greenbriar one day a few years back, i was standing on a rock a few feet from the bank, fishing with a green weenie. yes, i was a noob at the time, and when i got done scaring the crap out of everything in that particular hole, i turned to see a big water snake on the shore where i hoped to exit. i have dealt with these before and know they can have a mean streak. i spent a few minutes trying to gently coax it along with my rod tip, but this only aggravated it into biting my rod. so i decided to use a technique that has served me well in the past when i was stuck on a big rock with copperheads and no other way out. i slapped him across the back with my rod tip. most snakes get the hint and head outta dodge, but this one didn't. instead it had a score to settle with me, and dropped into the water and was coming after me. i simply jumped over it as it got close to my rock, then used a long stick to hurl it into the middle of the river as it was following me back to shore. i hated to do that, as i used to keep several species of snake and reptiles, and have a great respect for all herps. but this thing had an aggression i have never seen before, with the possible exception of blood pythons