Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-12-2013, 08:50 AM

Default Skipjacks on the fly

A buddy and I went out yesterday searching for smallmouths. We came up on a feeding frenzy of what appeared to be trout. I got my fly rod out with 5x tippet and threw one of the 3 dry flies I had. I got a hit instantly and broke my tippet. I knew we weren't messing with trout (even though they were sipping bugs and looked just like trout rises). I tied on some 3x and my next to last dry and had a ball wearing these little Tennessee Tarpon out. Anyone ever catch these on the fly? They averaged about 15-18 inches and were little fighters. It was one of my favorite days fishing.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 AM

They are a blast to catch, real fighters! I was out a few weeks ago, on a local tailwater and they were feeding heavily on top ,but unfortunately all I had with me in the canoe was poppers and streamers for smallies. I usually keep a small flybox of some adams and grey caddis dry flies,and PTs . just for them but forgot to load it. They can get pretty picky like trout when the hatch is thick. When they get to feeding heavy like that, you may find some stripers nearby also.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:49 AM

This is a good little fly/lure to have with you also. I've had good luck with them on skipjack. Very castable on a 4-5 wt rod. Use at least 3x tippet though.

http://www.hofmannsluresinc.com/products.html
Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
A buddy and I went out yesterday searching for smallmouths. We came up on a feeding frenzy of what appeared to be trout. I got my fly rod out with 5x tippet and threw one of the 3 dry flies I had. I got a hit instantly and broke my tippet. I knew we weren't messing with trout (even though they were sipping bugs and looked just like trout rises). I tied on some 3x and my next to last dry and had a ball wearing these little Tennessee Tarpon out. Anyone ever catch these on the fly? They averaged about 15-18 inches and were little fighters. It was one of my favorite days fishing.
I haven't had the opportunity to fish for skippys this Spring , but last year on the Holston, me and a buddy wore them out (and they wore us out as well) using clousers. We didn't think about dry flies, which would have been a blast.

Mike
Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 AM

I had my clinch box with me (I didn't even mean to pack it). They were hitting parachute sulphurs like candy.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:26 AM

I talked with Josh P (frontier anglers guide) about this hatch a couple of weeks ago after my trip in the canoe. He had been on the river that week also and he thought they were isonychia. This was on the French Broad. 1000's of maybe a size 16 shucks on the surface and the shad were wearing them out. They were very light yellow shucks, and I thought they were a sulphers also. .
If you were on the FB, did you notice all the gar spawning in the shallows?

Jim, (waterwolf) have you been on the FB lately and witnessed this hatch?
Old 06-14-2013, 01:55 PM

I didn't see any spawning fish, but I really wasn't paying a whole lot of attention either...