Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-21-2013, 07:14 PM

Talking Just another day in the Greenbrier

Nathan and I decided to go chase some trout today. After he bought us a nice breakfast we headed for the park. We checked the gauge at the entrance, which read 1.2, then headed for the trailhead.

I wasn't sure if we were going on a camera retrieval mission, and Nathan said he was up for whatever and had me make the call. The water was low enough to where it would be safe, but with thunderstorms called for the afternoon, I decided to leave that for another day.

We hiked in, then did the rhodo walk down to the creek.

A cool fungus on the hike in.

We hit the water, and I knew it would be a good day when my first 8 casts resulted in 8 bumps. The trout kept hitting my fly, but I couldn't get a hook set. I'm used to missing 3 out of 4, but when you miss 19 out of 20, I was starting to get a little frustrated.

I landed my first fish soon after. You know some days your just not sure whether you should tie on a green or a pink weenie. I was having that kind of day.

Then on closer inspection of my dry fly, I figured out my problem. I had snagged fly on my shirt previous trip, which bent the hook open. After bending it back I soon had this guy.

I then pulled a Jim Casada climbing up a huge midstream boulder. Sometimes you can't really see where you are reaching, and when you grab what you thought was debris on top of the boulder it wiggles away

Glad he was a small fellow

After a minute of being on the rock with me he started getting upset and rose up

It was about that time my rod "slipped" knocking him into the stream

I took a minute to take in the scenery

Fishing was really good, and for the first time this year I lost count.

Nathan was tearing them up as well

Old 06-21-2013, 07:22 PM

Talking

We continued upstream working some really nice water

Finally starting catching a decent number of brookies

I caught this beautiful rainbow.

Even the Brookies liked my green and pink weenie

Can you see Nathan?

Then I caught another sweet rainbow, and knew it was time to call it a day

Ooh, and did anyone lose a fishing net?

Made it out just fine and drove home to sunny skies

Nathan checked the radar and for the second time in a row, we just missed the rain. Gotta love it
Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 PM

Great report and pic's.....Thank you!!!

Really missing my home water. I live about 20 minutes from Elkmont. Stuck in Florida till at least Aug. Your post's and Byron's report makes things a little easier.....but, not much....

I have some catchin up to do.....I had a goal of 150+ days this year...still might be able to pull it off.

Thanks again.

Jim
Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 PM

Great pictures!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:16 PM

Default fungi

Ducky,

Nice report. Were those mushrooms growing off a piece of wood or out of the ground. I'm can't tell with my phone. If they're growing off wood, they may be oyster mushrooms. In which case you may be a little upset they didn't make the trip home with you. They make morels taste like cheap mac&cheese.

Disclaimer, noone reading this should eat anything because I think it may look like something based off a picture. Do not eat wild mushrooms unless you are 100% certain it is safe, or your drunk buddy who will try anything once does it first, and lives.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 PM

I never get tired of these reports as I jealously and vicariously fish through them. Thank you for posting them! My son tied the same pink and green weenie for our trip last week and he caught his first Smokies brown with it. He called it the psycho weenie. Strangely, he kept that pattern to himself and only gave me the all green and all pink ones.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:50 PM

The mushrooms were growing out of the ground.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:42 AM

Love it ! Thanks
Beautiful piece of water with those huge boulders. I will have to try and find that place when I am there in July
Old 06-22-2013, 11:13 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
Ducky,

Nice report. Were those mushrooms growing off a piece of wood or out of the ground. I'm can't tell with my phone. If they're growing off wood, they may be oyster mushrooms. In which case you may be a little upset they didn't make the trip home with you. They make morels taste like cheap mac&cheese.

Disclaimer, noone reading this should eat anything because I think it may look like something based off a picture. Do not eat wild mushrooms unless you are 100% certain it is safe, or your drunk buddy who will try anything once does it first, and lives.

I believe you are right You made me pull out my Audubon field guide. I believe it was out of decaying wood or stump in the ground. Plus the fact that there were 3 more clusters. Add to that color is right for this time of year. I didn't check for toothed gill edges so other species can't be ruled out, but I believe you nailed it. I guess it could also be an umbrella polypore, but that is "Choice edibility" as well.

Anyone hiking to Ramsey's Cascade would easily find them

Also saw some Chicken mushroom on way to Gregory's Bald last weekend
Old 06-22-2013, 08:49 PM

Here are my pictures:

Boulder climbing

right at the hook set: