Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 PM

Default A "True Fishing Story"

I have seen the "where's everyone at" post and felt like a heel for not posting the trips I have been on. DP, NDuncan, Buzz and Blue Raider and those of you that have posted...Thank You. Those posts, keep a guy yearning to get back out there.

As an update, if you have not been to the Hiwassee you truly are missing a river that is fishing excellent right now. Dean , Skip, or Steve at the fly shop will put you on fish with the best of intentions by expecting nothing in return other than hearing your reports.

Charlie offers a shuttle service if needed and his advice about the river is valuable. You have seen my pics of the Hiwassee on previous trips, so I'll move on.

Three trips as of late to Tellico are all Good. Fishing above the state line good. Mcnabb not recovered. North River - good.

Got an invite to fish with Walter and so the story begins. "You know your getting old when you get the AARP stuff in the mail, as well as a small lap dog that you have to carry everywhere, then at 65 you get your single best pay day ever for not doing anything". I listen to every word this man has to say and feel like a 6'4" sponge sitting next to him.....wondering when we get to talk fish!!

We started his favorite river after a big rain the night before and given the previous weather Tuesday night, the river in the upper reaches was clear and wadeable. 2 worst times to fish he says" full moon - because they ate all night by light and just after a rain because they ate just before it moved in". I'm thinking "I don't care cause i'm standing with a TRUE KEEPER OF the RIVER and his secrets of it. He's even said "Can't tell ya that because (?xo! ) is still alive and I have promised not to share that info while he's still alive.

So I will start with the end in mind first.

At the Cabin.

I know why after fishing with Walter Babb, I haven't caught fish this size. They're all on his wall!!!!

From the days when he was part taxidermist.

I must admit, a very good cook and host.

Hi-sticking and double nymphing is how we got to dinner.

One fish from a hole I thought was good....but three. I watched a Gladiator today do battle with a Bamboo rod.

It was a beautiful day.

If you get a chance to fish with an Old Timer please do. If, your an Old Timer, please take a young guy fishing. He'll be your witness to many down the stream and tell your stories and add a twist or bend but they'll be true.

Walter- Thank You for taking a young guy fishing. I promise to pay it forward.

Breck
Old 06-21-2013, 06:20 PM

Talking

I gotta get out to the Hiawassee with you soon

One trip with Walter and you're bound to make everyone jealous, but multiple trips.......just rub it in why don't you

I hope you learned something watching him

Thanks for posting, you've been a little slack lately
Old 06-21-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post
I'm suprised you didn't mention it, but that's a ghetto blaster with a cassette player on the table. I haven't seen one of those since I graduated high school in the 80's. Walter Babb just went up a couple notches on the cool scale for me.

Breck,

Nice report!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:38 PM

Very good report.

Great pictures.

I love the sponge part. Being able to listen makes learning easy. Being able to hear old wisdom is priceless.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
I'm suprised you didn't mention it, but that's a ghetto blaster with a cassette player on the table. I haven't seen one of those since I graduated high school in the 80's. Walter Babb just went up a couple notches on the cool scale for me.

Breck,

Nice report!

Totally agree! I noticed the BOOM BOX first thing. Sweet!

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 06-22-2013, 05:50 AM

Breck,
Excellent post and nice story. Also; I love the boombox. Reminds me of my days of carrying one around and investing in DuraCell by buying tons of batteries. Glad you and Walter are having some great adventures. Maybe I will try and get with you two for some education and fun...?
to choose, to respond, to change.”