Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 PM

Default I like hiwassee river,but

I miss fishing and hunting on the little t. In the winter I would duck hunt in the mornings and trout fish after the morning hunt.late summer we would trout fish in the. mornings and dove hunt after noon. I know it's long gone ,thanks to a land hungry tva. It's a shame that you younger fishermen didn't get a chance to enjoy the little t. like l did

-
Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 PM

I know it sucks, but you can't dwell in the past. I miss the Clinch during the 90's when no one fished it and the fishing was incredible. I miss the Cumberland when the dam wasn't screwed up, the water was clear/cold, and there was no one else from Knoxville fishing it. I miss the Holston below Cherokee when no one knew there were trout there, and overlooked it because they didn't like smallmouth. I miss the days when folks didn't like smallmouth.

You get the point, I could go on and on. Instead I just move and adjust to the annual challenges and changes that occur.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I know it sucks, but you can't dwell in the past. I miss the Clinch during the 90's when no one fished it and the fishing was incredible. I miss the Cumberland when the dam wasn't screwed up, the water was clear/cold, and there was no one else from Knoxville fishing it. I miss the Holston below Cherokee when no one knew there were trout there, and overlooked it because they didn't like smallmouth. I miss the days when folks didn't like smallmouth.

You get the point, I could go on and on. Instead I just move and adjust to the annual challenges and changes that occur.
Jim,
I can understand and relate to many of your frets. I can remember when the Clinch went through the lull in the 90s. It was rare to see people on the river and land and houses were dirt cheap (well, actually cheaper than avg. house prices). I should have jumped at the chance on a few properties. However; I really did not have the money anyhow.

I like your philosophy on how to approach things. I find it frustrating at times to keep an open mind; but, I realize I am just being quarrelsome with myself. I think if we work together, share our thoughts, and keep an open mind; we can make things better for everyone.
In the end; the rivers and our natural resources need us to protect them in the near future.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-22-2013, 08:07 PM

Swamp there are many of us who still have great memories of the Little T. Like you l was lucky enough to hunt ducks and doves there but my best memories are of the fishing. Mid summer browns sucking down catalpa worms in the channels along Calloway Island near Toqua; massive hatches of caddis that were so thick you couldnt help but suck a few down if you got to gasping for air as you tried to get to the bank when the water releases caught you mid river; streamer fishing those big drops at Chota, the railroad trestle, and the fishtraps; Laughing at friends around campfires along the Bluffs; and trying to figure out those big mayfly hatches below Hoss Holts. And being stunned by the mass and size of those browns that made the river famous. But It is a resource that didnt come close to ever reaching its potential. This past year l have been reading and commenting on drafts of LITTLE FISH which is Professor Platers just released book on the snail darter litigation, and all thise old fishing memories came flooding back. Interestingly l think some of our tailwaters probably fish as well today as did the Little T, and if there is any solace, many of those improvements that dramatically improved the Clinch, South Holston and other tailwaters came about as a direct result of the Little T litigation and the recognition of what a reareation and minimum flow regime could do to improve tailwater fisheries. So you keep those good menories. And you tell people about what was here and what was lost. And make them look at your pictures. I am there with you. But l sure like the way some our other rivers are fishing now

Last edited by Joe Congleton; 06-22-2013 at 08:32 PM..