Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 06-22-2013, 08:26 PM

Angry Fishing Gear Stolen

I've got some family staying up at Tremont Campground this week for a family reunion so I came up to fish for some of the hatchery trout. I hit the water about 10am and fished until noon and returned to my car. I went back out about 1pm but this time with only my rod/reel and a small fly box and was only out for about 30 minutes before the start of the reunion at 2pm. I locked up the car and went up to the pavilion. I returned back to my car at about 430 to grab my gear and hit the water only to discover my car door unlock and some stuff missing.

Here is a list of some of the items missing...
Simms fly vest
Various fly boxes
one with nymphs
one with dry flies
one small fly box with streamers
LRO round 4 compartment boxes with larger nymphs
chest mount fly box
Simms fly patch
All the normal fishing tools (hemos, nippers, ect)
Wolf Moon Oval Net with the white plastic netting
GSMNP waterproof map, compass, small first aid kit, and a Vulcan fire piston
all those items were in a ziplock bag in the back pocket of the vest
GoPro Hero camera in the chest mount (32gb memory card)
White River creel with a small S&W boot knife attached to it

Like I said, my car was parked at Tremont Campground when the items were stolen. The police officer thought it could be kid that took the items seeing how they left 3 fly rods and a spinning rod setup and my laptop was also spared. Other people said they had been seeing tubers coming thru the campground as well. If anyone finds any of this stuff in the area please let me know. Feel free to call me @ (865) 200-1396 or drop any found items off at LRO.

Thank You,
Joel Hood
Old 06-22-2013, 08:39 PM

Are you sure some one at the reunion didn't get your keys and just play a cruel joke on you? Maybe they hid it in another spot in the vehicle. I got fishing buddies that would do that and laugh while waiting on me to file a report and look for it. Heck one guy through a rattle snake down the hill on me while I was fishing a spot once.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
Are you sure some one at the reunion didn't get your keys and just play a cruel joke on you? Maybe they hid it in another spot in the vehicle. I got fishing buddies that would do that and laugh while waiting on me to file a report and look for it. Heck one guy through a rattle snake down the hill on me while I was fishing a spot once.
I'm positive no one hid my gear from me. If they had then the joke would have played out before the police came to take the report.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:58 PM

That sucks man. I hate thieves. I will keep an ear out though. Check on craigslist as well.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 PM

Man that sucks. Nothing worse than a thief.

I can't offer much help in catching them, but if you need some replacement gear I am blessed with more flies and other stuff than I could ever use. I'm happy to pass it along free of charge to help another out if you would like. Shoot me an email if you are interested.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:13 PM

Dude I have a Fishpond chest pack I can loan you till you get restoockrd. I changed to an Orvis slingpack.Will mail or meet you if local. Just let me know!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 06-23-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Man that sucks. Nothing worse than a thief.

I can't offer much help in catching them, but if you need some replacement gear I am blessed with more flies and other stuff than I could ever use. I'm happy to pass it along free of charge to help another out if you would like. Shoot me an email if you are interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
Dude I have a Fishpond chest pack I can loan you till you get restoockrd. I changed to an Orvis slingpack.Will mail or meet you if local. Just let me know!
Same here Floaton,
Send me your address and I will send you some replacement flies, boxes, and whatever extra I may have....
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-23-2013, 11:50 AM

I really appreciate all the offers. I was lucky enough to be spared my small stream box with those flies. They stole just enough to get me upset but not enough to keep me from fishing. I'm heading up to the shop to pick up the necessities and get back out of the river.

I honestly believe that it was not another fisherman that took my gear and with that said I hope it was a bunch of kids. If that's the case then hopefully the act was enough to satisfy them and they've ditched the gear. I'm going back up to check around at a few stores in hope that someone honest might have picked it up and turned it in.

Thanks again for all the offers. Guys like you make this sport and community great.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:03 PM

Smile

Looks like I got lucky. I stopped at the little store near the campground and they said that someone turned the stuff in. The person that turned it in said they found it stung thru bushes down the side of the road.

I think from now on I'll just stick to the backcountry where you don't have the crowds of people.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:22 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Float On View Post
Looks like I got lucky. I stopped at the little store near the campground and they said that someone turned the stuff in. The person that turned it in said they found it stung thru bushes down the side of the road.

I think from now on I'll just stick to the backcountry where you don't have the crowds of people.
Awesome Glad there is a happy ending.

As I camped with the kids front country last night at Cades Cove, your last sentence ran through my head over a dozen times