Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 PM

Default Hiwassee wading information

I have never fished the Hiwassee and I am hoping those of you that fish it can give me some advice on where I can wet wade? It seems that a lot of the pictures I see posted are from a drift boat. I would be driving from Lenoir City (if that matters).

I am not looking for anyone's honey holes, just some directions where I can wade and get a line wet. You can post here or email at kellyvol1975@gmail.com

In have read several posts and tried to find information on line but there are so many years of experience on this board....what better place to get information.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:32 PM

Travel across Ft Loudon dam then catch Tellico Pky. Turn left on hwy 72 and then right onto hwy 411. Turn left onto hwy 30 right after you cross the river. I can make it to Reliance in an hour from Lenoir City.

A lot of the river is wadable with two turbines running....especially if your wet wading and don't mind a short swim.

Most dependable areas are up near the powerhouse, on the south bank. Shallow flats run down the river for a quarter mile from the powerhouse.

Hike a little further down the tracks and much of the southern side of the river is wadable across from the rock wall (fox's cabin).

A lot of water can be accessed straight out of Towee Creek. (Small parking lot and boat ramp on north side of river)

Big Bend also has a lot of wadable water. (Big parking lot on north side of river)

Lots of pull offs on the north side of the river will offer a ledge to venture out on.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:48 AM

Just be mindful of your footing below. There are some areas that can go from being a foot deep to 9/10 feet. Good luck and report back!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerG10 View Post
Just be mindful of your footing below. There are some areas that can go from being a foot deep to 9/10 feet. Good luck and report back!
The Hiwassee is my home water and TylerG10 makes a very good point with respect to footing. The base terrain of this river changes dramatically as you travel from the 315 bridge up-stream toward the powerhouse. The rocks are all cutback, can be slick and even dangerous if you are not familiar with this river and certainly when they are running water. Since you have not fished this river before, check the TVA website and see what the flow will be when you arrive, you will find it under the Apalachia Dam, not Hiwassee. I would advise to go there when they are not generating to become familiar with the terrain. Typically this time of year while under the "recreational schedule" on both Saturday and Sunday, the water is turned off from 6am until 10:00am with a pulse around 8. They turn one generator on at 10am and then 2 generators at 11:00, that is when the river becomes a sea of kayaks and drift boats. Once the water turns on, you can return to your car and drive down river back to the 315 bridge at Webb Brothers store and fish below the bridge for a couple hours longer before the higher water reaches there.

Rocky lists some good areas to fish, I would also advise that you take a wading staff with you when fishing up toward the powerhouse. If you do not have one, there is plenty of bamboo that grows around the area, just cut a nice piece and you are good to go.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:59 PM

Thanks to all of you for the great information. I spend some of my time on the Clinch so I will check the release schedule for sure. The footing sounds more like Abrams Creek....with the slope of the rock and the slickness that is one of the toughest places to wade for me. Do you guys see much dry fly action on the Hiwassee or is it like the Clinch with mostly nymph fishing?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:41 PM

The Muir Trail area on the north side, downstream from Big Bend parking lot, is good.

You have to watch your footing as you can be stepping from submerged rock to rock, with deep holes between.

Some of the best hatches I've ever seen were on the Hiwassee. Good dry fly fishing when hatches are on.

steve
Old 06-25-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked_On_Fly_Fishing View Post
Thanks to all of you for the great information. I spend some of my time on the Clinch so I will check the release schedule for sure. The footing sounds more like Abrams Creek....with the slope of the rock and the slickness that is one of the toughest places to wade for me. Do you guys see much dry fly action on the Hiwassee or is it like the Clinch with mostly nymph fishing?
Some of the best caddis hatches I have ever seen. Elk Hair caddis is my choice of dry fly on this river over other patterns. I will fish this by itself when a hatch is going on; when I do not see any surface activity, I will use the caddis as a strike indicator and tie on a bead-head, flash-back caddis dropper, zebra midge or copper-john and I continue to be on fish. When fish are midging on the surface, I use a #20 griffith gnat and that has proven to be very productive for me as well. Lastly during a pulse and the fish seem to refuse any of these patterns, I pull out the olive wolley bugger and once again, all is good.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:54 PM

I grew up on the HI and that's where I learned how to fly fish. I also agree with Stonefly, there can be some incredible hatches on that river. I have not fished the HI in a few years but my go to fly was always a prince. I used it year round and never had any problems.

P.S. Watch for snakes.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:42 PM

What Stonefly says is true. The first time I fished the place, I got too intent on looking for rises, stepped off a ledge and floated my hat.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 PM

The isonychias are hatching right now and its awesome dry fly fishing. We're fishing big dries from put in to take out.

The Hiwassee boast a large menu of bugs that spans the 4 seasons. But the isos are my favorite. Nows a great time to give the Wass' a shot.