Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-25-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerG10 View Post
Chechem, those are some awesome pictures. What kind of camera are do you use?

Hooked, I have buddy that is a guide in that area. I'll give him a call this evening and so how things are going and what he says.
Canon D10. It's about 5-6 years old, but still great for both freshwater and saltwater use.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post
Canon D10. It's about 5-6 years old, but still great for both freshwater and saltwater use.
Thanks, the underwater pictures are really cool!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerG10 View Post
Thanks, the underwater pictures are really cool!
It takes a moment to take the underwater photos, but it's probably easier on the fish (than posing with the fish out of water). I simply hold onto the tippet and allow the fish to swim in the current. Meanwhile I take out the camera, hold it underwater, and take several snaps. Then, while I'm putting away the camera, the fish recovers from the fight. By the time I unhook it, the fish is lively and ready for release.

The ordeal takes 3 hands, but the photos are better (when you're alone) than simple photos of a hand-held fish.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:30 AM

Great pictures. How dd the Firehole fish this year? I haven't fished it in about ten years. Always one of my favorites in Yellowstone though.

I'm headed out that way on the 11th. Most likely will spend the majority of my time on the Madison around Three Dollar Bridge.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $3Bridge View Post
Great pictures. How dd the Firehole fish this year? I haven't fished it in about ten years. Always one of my favorites in Yellowstone though.
I'm headed out that way on the 11th. Most likely will spend the majority of my time on the Madison around Three Dollar Bridge.
The Firehole was great during middle June, but it likely will slow by the time you go (July 11). The water was already warming when I was there.

The Madison was slower than the Firehole (and also warm), but fishing it outside the park may be better. I didn't try around $3 Bridge, but certainly that's a favorite stretch.

Best flies for me: #12 black wooly and/or #12 prince. Both best right in the fast water.

Have a great time, and bring back some photos.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:00 PM

TylerG10,

I will be in Yellowstone on July 27th and I expect the water to change between now and then, but if you do hear back from your buddy fill me in on any useful info.

BTW...I didn't make it to the Hiwassee because on Saturday they had two or more running on the release.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked_On_Fly_Fishing View Post
TylerG10,
I will be in Yellowstone on July 27th and I expect the water to change between now and then, but if you do hear back from your buddy fill me in on any useful info.
BTW...I didn't make it to the Hiwassee because on Saturday they had two or more running on the release.
I'm not Tyler, but I heard a bit of news. The Firehole is warming and slowing already (as expected); reached 80 degrees this past week. Slough Creek is still "high and green". Slough Creek is expected to be perfect by the end of July, however, so you should try that for sure. The Yellowstone opens July 15th. So, fish the east and NE parts of the park.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 AM

Thanks Chechem, that should set up nice then. Since I'm staying at Roosevelt it appears I'll be closer to the prime waters. Since the two guys going with me are expecting me to be the guide (scary thought) I want to make sure I do as much homework as possible to put us in the best spots to catch fish. This will be my second time to YSNP and their first trip.
We are all lucky to live close to the Smokies and this place will always have my heart……but Yellowstone is an amazing place and I can’t think of another place in the country that offers such diverse waters with amazing views in such a wild setting.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:16 AM

Chechem,
I loved the post, just beautiful places! I have some dumb questions, but I've never been there and so it's all a big mystery to me to see the posts about Yellowstone. When the river rises to 80 degrees like you're saying, is there just a big fish kill each year? How does that work or do they run elsewhere upstream to summer over? Just curious, I'd love to go someday and see it.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:08 PM

I don't mean to butt in on a question for someone else,but I love Yellowstone and here is what I have found. A lot of the fish do just as you say and run up into the smaller tribs. Good luck catching them though. They get very skittish because the tribs are pretty shallow. I'm sure some run up into the canyon. I've had most of my luck on the Iron spring creek and I think the little firehole when it gets into late July and August.
Lynn