Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 07-13-2013, 03:31 PM

Default Thoughts on 21?

Can anyone offer thoughts on site 21? Only saw one opinion while looking at old reviews and it was not really a positive review. I would like to go to 24 but have two new folks going with me and was concerned that that may be a bit too far for them.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:35 PM

Thumbs down

I think it sucks!
In fact any new campsite the park service will make in the future will suck. I'm all about LNT and trying to minimize impact, but think they have gone too far.
All new sites are clear away from water sources so the nasty campers won't contaminate the stream. Are all off the trail so you don't ruin the experience of day hikers having to look at campers while walking the trail. The park hires some Penn State LNT guru guy to build all the new campsites. Heard of the soup Nazi, this guy is a LNT Nazi

A buddy who has hiked all the trails and is now working at staying at all the campsites in the park assures me all the new ones are like that.

21 is Ok except that there aren't many tent sites that are even somewhat flat. Getting water requires you drop through the steep stuff that I sure wouldn't want my children or wife to do. It's also a bit exposed to the wind. I was all siked up to stay there till I actually did

Does give you good access to LR and is an easy hike

Just get your water on your way in before you hike the last .3

Sorry if I sound so grumpy in my remarks
Old 07-13-2013, 08:34 PM

on't be sorry. I want the straight answer. Just was trying to find a good site reasonable for two new guys on that side of the park. I am personally a little tired of 18 and I worry about 24 being too far for their first trip. But I want to get them to a good site.

I appreciate your response. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:35 PM

24 is only another mile and a half from there and it's a fairly easy walk.... A lot more fishing options from 24....you can start fishing right at the campsite and bag a slam without changing water.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:07 AM

I agree with these guys 21 is a terrible spot. I have stayed there and the whole site becomes basically a swamp when it rains. Luckily I had a hammock. It is too far from water source and the river. Not a great fishing base camp. 24 is much better. I am sure the NPS will phase out many of the good fishing sites like 24 eventually for the reasons ducky pointed out. I have also stayed at the new cs 46 over on Indian Creek on the NC side of the park and it is very similar to 21 not good.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 AM

Thanks! I apprecate the info. I will look at something else. I want to do 24 but it is probably too far for my son's buddies who have not been before. Probably will do 18 then.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:03 PM

I have hiked both trails numerous times...even though 24 is twice the distance I think it is an easier hike....with the added attraction of being able to stop and fish some pretty good water while walking in...and IMHO the fishing around 24 is so much better than 18
Old 07-15-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Thanks! I apprecate the info. I will look at something else. I want to do 24 but it is probably too far for my son's buddies who have not been before. Probably will do 18 then.
Something to keep in mind...
While #18 is a very short hike compared to others, it could still pose a challenge to newbies, especially if you throw a heavy pack into the mix. Hiking up to #24 on the other hand, while longer in distance, is about the equivalent of walking up a dirt road with a slight gradation. And once you are back at #18 all you have is the WPLR unless you hike back out for the day to hit the MPLR, Thunderhead, Sams, etc...

Tight Lines,
Old 07-21-2013, 12:37 PM

Hey just wanted to say thanks to everyone. Took your alls advise and we went for camp 24. They did great and I look forward to getting back up there for a couple days in the future. It was a very pleasant hike in (though humid) and out (beautiful weather). We got hit by a pretty good Tstorm that evening after dinner so the fishing got cut short as we retreated to the tents. But I can see that that would be a fun place to explore. Did pick up a couple rainbows before the rain. The only recommendation I would add is to avoid Site C (I think, where the second set of cables are). There were a lot of low areas in there that filled up with runoff from the rain. THe other spots were fine. Cool part/little nerve racking was in the morning while eating breakfast a bear visited the site. Literally. He came into camp and aired the smells. Then walked over to the cables and aired our packs up in the cables. He was not at all aggressive and everybody kept cool. Just tried to look big (ha ha) standing on the boulders and encouraging him to get on. Wish I had the camera.

We took a few hours after hiking out the following day and hit Road Prong and picked up about 15 bows and brookies. Probably missed twice as many.

Anyways, thanks for encouraging going to 24. The advise was spot on.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:30 PM

Hey...sounds like you had a good time up there. There are usually a few browns that hang out in that section of Rough Creek that flows behind the campsites...good place to fish if the water is too high...and yes there are bears up there. My son and I were going to fish the lower part of Fish Camp Prong about a year ago on our way out....were rigging up on the foot bridge over the river there and just upstream my son spotted a huge black bear wading across the river...hard to fish when you are looking behind you.