Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-02-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked_On_Fly_Fishing View Post
TylerG10,

I will be in Yellowstone on July 27th and I expect the water to change between now and then, but if you do hear back from your buddy fill me in on any useful info.

BTW...I didn't make it to the Hiwassee because on Saturday they had two or more running on the release.
I talked to my buddy briefly. He was on the way to the Bahamas for Bonefishing! He is living the life. Anyway, he said he would call me when he gets back but he works on the Gallatin, Yellowstone, and Madison out of Big Sky.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
I don't mean to butt in on a question for someone else,but I love Yellowstone and here is what I have found. A lot of the fish do just as you say and run up into the smaller tribs. Good luck catching them though. They get very skittish because the tribs are pretty shallow. I'm sure some run up into the canyon. I've had most of my luck on the Iron spring creek and I think the little firehole when it gets into late July and August.
Lynn
No problem joining in.
I know there aren't yearly die-offs in the Firehole (some have occurred), but haven't read any documentation of migrations. Certainly many fish move up the tribs. I've been to Yellowstone twice during early August, and caught almost nothing in the Madison and Firehole. But I caught a few.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks Chechem, that should set up nice then. Since I'm staying at Roosevelt it appears I'll be closer to the prime waters. Since the two guys going with me are expecting me to be the guide (scary thought) I want to make sure I do as much homework as possible to put us in the best spots to catch fish. This will be my second time to YSNP and their first trip.
We are all lucky to live close to the Smokies and this place will always have my heart……but Yellowstone is an amazing place and I can’t think of another place in the country that offers such diverse waters with amazing views in such a wild setting.
I love sitting on the porch at Roosevelt, eating ice cream from the store just 50' away. Nice place and a good location for accessing both Slough Creek and the Yellowstone (albeit a good drive south from there). Fewer people around Roosevelt than around Old Faithful, more wildlife in that area too, so it'll be fun. I even went on the cookout one night when there; corny and fun. Great food.

Also, take binoculars and watch for the wolves at the turn to Slough Creek. Plenty of good waters in that region.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 PM

Hey Chechem,

I am leaving this Friday (7/26) for Yellowstone. I've read some reports on line but I wanted to see if you have heard anything from your buddy who guides in the area. I think the weather and water flows for the streams in the NE corner should be perfect. I'll post a report when I get back to let you know how I did.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Hey Chechem,

I am leaving this Friday (7/26) for Yellowstone. I've read some reports on line but I wanted to see if you have heard anything from your buddy who guides in the area. I think the weather and water flows for the streams in the NE corner should be perfect. I'll post a report when I get back to let you know how I did.
I am traveling in WV this week, and haven't heard from him. But Slough Creek and the Yellowstone should be HOT this time of year. Yellow or orange stimulators are always good there, as are all of the summer flies.

From the web this week: "Slough Creek Updated July 20
Green Drake, Gray Drake, and PMD hatches may bring up fish midday, but we are actually doing just as well if not better using spent caddis to imitate the egglaying caddis that hatched out the night before. Expect heavy crowds in the First and Lower Meadows."
http://www.parksflyshop.com/fishingreport.html
Old 07-24-2013, 01:35 PM

Would love to be out there fishing right now...
Thanks for the pics!

Tight Lines,