Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-30-2013, 12:33 PM

Default Anyone fishing the Clinch?

There have not been very many posts lately about fishing on the Clinch. I have been busy over the past month and with the release schedules, I have not been able to get to the river very much. I did get a chance to go this past Saturday, however.

Started at Miller's and caught a stocker on each a black, olive, and red zebra but nothing worked very consistently. I also witnessed not once, but twice 2 guys set up within 10 yards of me and start fishing. It took all I had to bite my lip both times and not cause a scene and I ended up leaving. I am not sure why people think it is acceptable to set-up and fish merely 10 yards from someone else and never say a word. The second guy walked to the end of my line where my strike indicator was and tossed his line directly over me and turned his head. Unreal.

I moved to the church and tossed everything I had and did not get the first bump.

Anyone else fishing?
Old 07-30-2013, 02:33 PM

Default walking in

I'm not sure if you were in the lower end of Miller's Island but I have had similar experiences at the lower end. In case someone is thinking they were bait slingers, THEY WERE NOT. They had fly rods just like me. I'm not combative but I did back one up by casting to him. The river is just like life, got all kinds out there.

I've been fishing the middle and lower end and have had success when the sun was out and the fog lifted. When I fish the Clinch now I use nymphs, copperhead with different color beads. If the water is skinny, go to the midge.

Sorry you encountered water jerks. If I'm fishing and I'm hooking up on fish and another angler is near and not catching, I invite him in. I do this often on the So. Ho and sometimes it comes back to me when I watch someone hooking up.

My advice, pay it forward. Share the water and if they're 10 feet away drive em back.
c.v.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:51 PM

I was there today also. Had a great day until about one and then nothing was working. I didn't have any run ins thank goodness but saw a few people who wanted to get close to me but they thought better of it I suppose.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:49 PM

Cockeye, I am normally the same way. Especially with the fly fisherman, I have only been fishing the Clinch for maybe a year so I feel like I can always learn something from someone else. I can also talk to a brick wall so having people closer to me isn't that big of an issue, it's just the way both of these guys acted as they jumped in beside me.

I have to say I have encountered way more people that are friendly and helpful than not. (It would have helped if I was actually catching a lot more but I was struggling myself when I felt like I should have been on the fish.) It happens.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:53 PM

I've found the easiest approach to dealing with a holes is to just smoke them by catching 10 fish to their one. Ignore them when they ask for advice and tell him to have a nice day when you leave. I did it a few weeks back at cold water except my ratio was 20:1 . It felt great walking within 10 feet of the guy as I left for the day. I left him speechless

I used to light folks up but found this new approach is better and far more fun
Old 07-30-2013, 07:14 PM

Fished the Clinch about every weekend for the past few months....

It is fishing spectacular if you pay attention to the bugs.

The "Jim E" Midge I authored in the last edition of Don Kirk's Southern Trout Magazine
http://www.southerntrout.com/mag/#/32-33/ kills it regularly if you are nymphing. If you want me to tie you up some; I sell all my flies for $3/ea with a 6 fly minimum. Send me an email if you are interested cshawnmadison@gmail.com

Otherwise, you should still thrown split cases in the #16 size.

The drop length should be around 2-3 feet.

Hope that helps...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 PM

We floated Sunday and had a decent morning, then as the water caught us, the action died.Very few bugs until we got near 61 bridge, but the fish could care less by then. Threw streamers for a while and had two fish eat, but that was it. Hard to get away from people who want to run over you, even on high water. Folks don't have a clue that they should keep their distance from you if you are fishing. Is it just me?? Why go between our boat and the bank when I can easily cast to it? Hello
Old 07-30-2013, 10:33 PM

Tyler,

The longer you fish the Clinch, you will learn that probably >70% of the fly fishermen are there for the sulfurs. I know lots of people who will only fish the Clinch from May thru July. I actually prefer the season we are heading into. It can be very challenging, but I remedy this by fishing #24 midges >4' deep in long sloooow runs. I have showed others this approach and they found it painfully difficult, but I have success with it and just consider it to be just another technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I've found the easiest approach to dealing with a holes is to just smoke them by catching 10 fish to their one. Ignore them when they ask for advice and tell him to have a nice day when you leave. I did it a few weeks back at cold water except my ratio was 20:1 . It felt great walking within 10 feet of the guy as I left for the day. I left him speechless
Jim,

There is one guy in particular at Coldwater that I have had multiple encounters with over the past couple years. When I see his vehicle, I know I am in for a frustrating morning. Originally, I even tried talking to the guy, but he only cared about getting to "his spot". I promise, he was running and passed me as I was walking downstream. Last time I went downstream about 50 yards of him and did just what you said. He didn't stick around for very long and left quite abruptly. Most people there practice good ethics as they are mostly older and more experienced anglers. I typically fish so far downstream that nobody else comes down that far, but I was just fed up with this clown's behavior.

I hope to get out there Friday morning, assuming the generation schedule is favorable.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 AM

Travis-

Off topic, I really enjoyed looking through your photo site. I just bought a Pentax K30 last month as my first DSLR and I'm trying to learn some things.

As far as the Clinch goes, I used to go fairly often, but I just do so much better in the park that I guess I just gave up tailwaters. I average 0-2 fish per outing on the Clinch, but I have caught a couple nice ones.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:18 PM

fished the clinch this afternoon. The bite was spotty but when they decided to eat they ate in a hurry. I got most on a green wd40 size 16 or a BH pheasant tail size 18-20. I ended up with around 15 fish most around 12-13 inches with largest being 17.