Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Boats, Canoes and Kayaks

Old 07-30-2013, 07:49 AM

First off, i agree with Jack about the Ethanol. I read stories all the time on a tractor forum that i'm a member on about the problems folks have.

Having said that, my 95 JD mower, 86 TroyBilt tiller, 2 Stihl chainsaws & one big whopping weed whacker have been running on this stuff for years without a problem. I don't add any additives to it except during the winter when the mower & tiller are stored, i'll start them once a month for the heck of it.
I started the chainsaws over the weekend & ran them for a few minutes, they haven't been used since February, the weedeater works year round being i clear fence rows with it during the winter.
The saws & weed whacker are over 10 years old to boot, i can't fiure out why i'm not having the problems everyone else is having, tried 100% once in the saws & they ran like crap, would have had to carried them to the dealer if i continued, went back to the "E" stuff, no problems.
As i stated earlier, i don't like the politics of the stuff, i'm just not having the problems everyone else seems to be having.

Grumpy
Old 07-30-2013, 09:04 AM

Maybe, based off of the advice given to Byron, and the fact that you're starting your saws and equipment once a month in Winter and not having any issues, that is the answer. It's worth a try anyway. We're running the E gas in our mowers and weed eaters and I'm sure I've never bothered to run them in the Winter time. I'll try it this year!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:29 AM

Bran

I do add SeaFoam to the fuel tanks during the winter, even the 2 strokes & diesel farm tractor, never a problem.
The tiller has set all year, to wet for my garden spot, started on the 2nd pull the other day so i walked it around the barn lot & put it back up. I do think the key is running the engines.
Having said all this, none of them will probably work next time out

Grumpy
Old 07-30-2013, 03:27 PM

Well, I hope thats not the case but a lot of times "Murphy's Law" prevails. We put Stabil in everything but have still had problems. I'll set a calendar event every month this winter to walk around and run everything. Heck, it sure won't hurt anything to warm it up a few minutes, right?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 AM

I use Sta-Bil but recently had a small engine guy tell me it's worthless. 'Course you know what they say about opinions...

steve
Old 08-02-2013, 12:07 AM

I had a guy tell me at a small engine repair shop that he only ran 100% gas in his stuff. I haven't since then either. Ethanol is fine for drinking

Last edited by flyman; 08-02-2013 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: 42