Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 08-04-2013, 04:06 PM

Much more reasonable outcome, but I'm not sure how you sheered the spool retainer off the spindle either? I could live with the outcome though
Old 08-04-2013, 09:39 PM

This makes no sense. Looks like if the retainer broke off the spindle, the problem would not be getting the spool off but keeping it on. Don't see any galling on the spindle that would keep the spool from coming off. Did you get your original spool or a replacement?
Old 08-05-2013, 02:19 PM

Years ago I had several Ross reels. Actually still have them, one being the original model, and I still like that one. One of the others got the spool skinned pretty bad when I fell on some rocks. Certainly my own fault. I tried contacting Ross to see if they could do something to it to make it useable again, and got no response at all. So, I don't buy Ross any more.

Your outcome was considerably better than that.

steve
Old 08-05-2013, 02:37 PM

Daniel talked to John Bauer who worked on the reel personally. John had to cut the retainer off to remove the spool.

Byron
Old 08-06-2013, 06:48 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
Daniel talked to John Bauer who worked on the reel personally. John had to cut the retainer off to remove the spool.

Byron
Byron,
Thanks for the reply and input. I am still unclear on what I did to cause it to seize up. One thought is that maybe some tippet got under the spool somehow...?

The Rogue 2 is still my favorite reel and I love the craftsmanship of the design.

My main worry and anxiety was from the initial quote of $100 to get it repaired after only two-years of use. Also; the fact that I could not discern any difference in its use from my other reels.-most less inferior and still working fine.

I still support Bauer and I will continue to look at their reels. I have been looking for a nice Rogue 4-5 for some big boy hunting on the clinch.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-06-2013, 09:48 AM

Shawn,
Sometimes the higher quality reels have much less room for error or corrosion. They are machined to such close tolerances. I know on Ross Reels if you oil the spindle it can actually cause a vacuum and make it almost impossible to get the spool off without disassembling the reel.

I'm glad they got it all fixed up for you.

Daniel
Old 08-07-2013, 02:26 AM

Having people like Byron and Daniel are what sets LRO apart from your average fly shop. Not many other people would have picked up the phone and called the owner of the company, and Daniel's knowledge never fails to amaze me. Cause he really don't look or act nearly as smart as he is
Old 08-07-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Drake View Post
Shawn,
Sometimes the higher quality reels have much less room for error or corrosion. They are machined to such close tolerances. I know on Ross Reels if you oil the spindle it can actually cause a vacuum and make it almost impossible to get the spool off without disassembling the reel.

I'm glad they got it all fixed up for you.

Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
Having people like Byron and Daniel are what sets LRO apart from your average fly shop. Not many other people would have picked up the phone and called the owner of the company, and Daniel's knowledge never fails to amaze me. Cause he really don't look or act nearly as smart as he is
So true and I am an avid supporter and promoter of LRO and its brands. Byron and Daniel offer the support and customer service that is rare in the big box stores! We must continue to support them and similar businesses to preserve and invest in our sport!

Jon Bauer emailed me yesterday to check on the reel and to give me some care advice. I was very pleased with the kind gesture. I still feel that the Bauer Rogue 2 is my favorite reel and I will continue to fish it and promote it. It is one of those reels that you save up for and when you get it; you say, "****, why did I wait to save up for this reel?"

Old 08-16-2013, 07:03 AM

Default Bauer - Rogue 2 Video

I would post a reply and video from Sunday on how well the Bauer Rogue 2 performs in landing fish on a reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh8Oxiyc4vQ

See video link below; I have hundreds more now that I have figured out how to edit the GoPro Videos without a super computer.