Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-03-2013, 10:00 PM

Default Road prong fished well today

Went up Road Prong from the last creek crossing, up to the flat area. Caught dozens of Brookies on yellow sallies! The creek is full of fish. Only caught three 8" fish and the others were small. Great day!

Jeff
Old 08-04-2013, 07:53 AM

Smile

Thanks for posting Jeff

Have you gotten into any good off-trails lately? Did you and that young kid that were at the TU meeting ever make it to Desolation Branch? I would love to have some good beta on a trip like that

Ooh and if you ever want to hit Abrams in the duckies let me know
Old 08-04-2013, 04:06 PM

DP

No we did not ever do Desolation. Someone told me they had hiked it nd did not think it would hold much in the way of fish, so we scraped the idea for now.

He and I were the ones who did Road Prong yesterday though.

We were supposed to paddle Abrams yesterday but the Little Riverngauge was less than the minimum of 2.7 ... It was like 1.8 or something that low. We were goi g to do it in sit upon kayaks. Oh well....Road Prongnws a good substitute! Perhaps this fall.

The duckies may be a better choice!

The latest off trail was in Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock looking for four old plane crashes. We found three of the four. Now I will have to wait until the first frost to escape snakes, gnats, and yellow jackets!

Jeff
Old 08-04-2013, 06:33 PM

Hey Jeff,

Good talking to you today via e-mail. Are you talking about paddling Abrams from the Ranger Station to the lake?

Byron
Old 08-04-2013, 08:23 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
Hey Jeff,

Are you talking about paddling Abrams from the Ranger Station to the lake?

Byron
Yes Sir he is. I took his buddy Adam Beal (Crockett) and his son Jack a few months back, and he commented that he wanted to go. The duckies are much better than a sit on top. In fact if you have enough water for a sit on top, the whitewater would be pretty tough (20 Class 2's one Class 3-). If you tried it any lower than 2.2-2.5 or so you would be in for a REALLY long day, or worse be rescued by the park service like the fellas a couple years back. 2.7 is a minimum when the water table is flush, but I've been down it where I barely scraped down it at 2.9. I would expect some boat abuse as the problem with this run is that it gets really wide in the middle 1/3 of the run, nothing like what it looks like near the ranger station. I call it a miniature Hiawassee because that's what it looks like with it long diagonal ledges. Water levels that would be suitable for boating do not coordinate well with fishing levels in this stretch

Jeff be glad you went to RP instead If we ever get some water again I'll be happy to take you.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:17 PM

Oops! Did Ducky just reveal to us "Crockett Creek"? Methinks so!
Old 08-07-2013, 12:48 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead8 View Post
Oops! Did Ducky just reveal to us "Crockett Creek"? Methinks so!
Sorry! Nice try Lower Abrams was a boating trip where no fishing rods were ever brought.

Crockett Creek if where the map is wrong on the other side of the park. I have never fished this creek with Crockett, and only knew after I was lost that I remembered a post by him about usgs maps being wrong on an off-trail forum, and realized where I was If you read the responses to my post you can probably figure it out though

If you thick skulled and still can't figure it out and really want to know just shoot me an e-mail. I can remember just a few years ago I was always trying to figure out where people fished, and while it seemed obvious to many, I could never figure it out.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Sorry! Nice try Lower Abrams was a boating trip where no fishing rods were ever brought.

Crockett Creek if where the map is wrong on the other side of the park. I have never fished this creek with Crockett, and only knew after I was lost that I remembered a post by him about usgs maps being wrong on an off-trail forum, and realized where I was If you read the responses to my post you can probably figure it out though

If you thick skulled and still can't figure it out and really want to know just shoot me an e-mail. I can remember just a few years ago I was always trying to figure out where people fished, and while it seemed obvious to many, I could never figure it out.
I AM thick skulled, but I enjoy figuring stuff out. I like all of your posts and pictures. When I retire, I hope to cover as much ground and water as you do!