Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-11-2013, 05:05 PM

Talking Great weekend in Great Smokies

Friday Freddie and I ran up to the mountains to catch a few trout. We planned to hit easy to access river, but after my story of losing my fly box with Nathan a few weeks ago he said we should hike in and plan to find it. I guess it was just my lucky day On the drive through Sevierville I thought I was about to get another speeding ticket, but luckily the guy behind me looked just as good

We filled up at the Mountain Lodge, then headed for the stream. Once reaching the trailhead there was one park service vehicle at the trailhead. He was parked effectively blocking 3 spaces. As we hiked up the trail Freddie said something to the effect of he knew I was going to say something if and when we ran across the individual. I told him he knew me too well, and would try and bite my tounge. Soon enough we pass the guy with hedge clippers. I just waved and didn't say anything. We hiked on over a few ridges to our destination. After a small fight with the rhodo we were streamside

Fishing wasn't great , but was good enough. There were only 3 or 4 fish that I caught that were decent with the rest being your typical small Brookies. Within 300 yards of our starting place we came to a point that was choked by 2 big boulders that had me climb around. On top of the boulder was a down hemlock (imagine that). As soon as I peeked my head on top of the mossy covered log I could see my flybox While it was just and old school LRO circular case, it did have 36 flies in it when I got it back. Wouldn't have been a terrible loss, but still enough of a good feeling to get it back to soar my spirit

We worked upstream alternating the better pools, then the fishing really slowed. In the last 1/4 mile we picked up a handful of fish, but it was few and far between. While Freddie's initial instinct lead him to say "We need to do more walking and less fishing" neither of us really listened as we gazed on another sweet pool. It started getting dark and there were a few sprinkles when we reached our out. We started hiking out and just about the time Freddie said, "I think it's gonna stay on the top of the mountain", the skies opened up. We hiked the last 2.5 miles getting completely soaked. I hiked really fast to maintain some warmth. Upon finally reaching the van, I stripped and even had to wring out my clothes before putting them in the back. Thank goodness I had extra clothes, but forgot the towel Just about the time I was completely dry from running the AC Freddie showed up. He had been hiking the day before and his knee was giving him problems. We pulled out and not a mile away the ground is dry and it was sunny Great start to the weekend.

Saturday was honey do and garage cleaning day.

Today I was going to fish or paddle and mother nature chose "The Greenbrier" The water was a good low at 1.75 or so. When we reached the Porters/ Ramsey(MP) confluence there was stark contrast. Porters had almost no water was completely clear and while a bit high for fishing was totally fishable and will most likely be perfect tomorrow
Middle Prong was not chocolate milk but was pretty dirty and raging. On my first run Lou and I put on a few hundred yards up MP. I come racing around the corner and drop in on a fisherman. I apologize and he says no problem as I pass by. We bomb down the run only stopping for a few seconds once or twice, and soon make it down to the wedding/swimming hole/ takeout. After a few chats with some tourists we head back for another run. Saw some more paddling buddies at the put-in and after a quick shuttle the 5 of us hit another lap Made it home by 3:30

And if you didn't know about the road closure here is the latest:

Park Closes Sections of Greenbrier Road for Repairs

Great Smoky Mountains National Park officials will close sections of Greenbrier Road to vehicle and pedestrian traffic for road repairs from Wednesday, August 14 through Friday, August 23. Beginning Wednesday, August 14 through Sunday, August 18, the road will be closed just past the intersection with the road to Ramsey Cascades trailhead. Beginning Monday, August 19, the road will be closed at the Greenbrier Ranger Station through the duration of the project ending on Friday, August 23.

The roadway suffered significant damage following a flood event last winter when the road was completely washed out exposing underlying rock and damaging culverts. Park crews made temporary repairs this winter and will now complete the long-term solution by installing a bottomless box culvert, three circular culverts, re-grading the roadway, and adding new gravel. The bottomless box culvert design increases water handling capacity, provides unimpeded water flow, and aids fish passage.

“Greenbrier Road provides access to several popular hiking trails, backcountry campsites, picnic areas, and scenic river views. We regret the inconvenience of the closure, but believe that these repairs will help prevent flooding of the road in the future,” said Park Facility Management Chief Alan Sumeriski.

Heavy equipment will be utilized during the repair work including gravel trucks, graders, and excavators. In order to safely and efficiently accomplish the needed work, the affected road sections will be closed to pedestrians as well as vehicle and bicycle traffic throughout the duration of the project.

In addition, the Greenbrier picnic area and picnic pavilion will be closed throughout the closure along with backcountry campsite #31. Access to backcountry campsite #32 will be from Roaring Fork Road and access to campsite #33 will be from Maddron Bald Trail. For more information about closures, please visit the Park’s website at www.nps.gov/grsm or call the Park’s Road and Weather Information Line at 865-436-1200.

--
Public Affairs Office Great Smoky Mountains National Park
107 Park Headquarters Road
Gatlinburg, TN 37738
Dana Soehn, 865-436-1207
Molly Schroer, 865-436-1203
Old 08-11-2013, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the report and congratz on finding the fly box, I hate losing flies especially ones that I have tied. As I write this there is a monsoon outside so I wonder how much of this is hitting the Mountains.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 PM

Nice report Ducky. I'm starting to think we need to take up a collection and get you a camera.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
Nice report Ducky. I'm starting to think we need to take up a collection and get you a camera.
I know roughly where you can find one for free
Old 08-12-2013, 08:14 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
It's not been a good camera year. Got my correct new battery delivered this week Unfortunately it the camera that is the problem

I shopping hard, but am cheap and trying to find a deal

No need for a collection, I'll have one soon.

I used Freddie's camera on Friday but it was low on battery to start and it ran out after just a few pics. I will post them when and if I get them