Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-16-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
TFO, Finesse. 8'9", 3-weight.
I have the TFO Finesse 7'9" 3 wt. I fish the smaller tight streams and does well. It's a great rod even when I occasionally fish for the hatchery fish. I was surprised at how far I could cast with it.

How does the long version compare to the short one? I need to hit LRO and test it.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:52 AM

Winston BIIX 8'9 3 wt.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Float On View Post
How does the long version compare to the short one? I need to hit LRO and test it.
I use to exclusively fish a 7'9" rod and since going longer, I'll never look back. For every instance where I wish I had a shorter rod, there's 5 where I'm glad I have a longer rod. Let's just say that I no longer fish any of my shorter rods anymore. 8'9" is the shortest rod I fish and I wish it were 3" longer. I do fish some tiny speck streams and just have no use for a shorter rod.

Keep in mind, I don't always fish the same way most folks on the board do. There's none of this no wading, long delicate presentations, hugging the banks stuff for me. I wade right in and high stick dry flies through the runs. I'm far more concerned about getting a perfect drift the first time a fly passes over a fish.

Works for me. Your results may vary.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
Man I love your addiction. I have a similar one. If there is a 12 step program i am in need of it badly.
Flyred,

I don't know of any 12 step programs, but I've found a very effective 1 step program. Step 1 - have a kid. Then you don't have any time or money to feed the habit. I must say she's worth it though (and she got a pink Abel for her first Christmas)
Old 08-16-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
I use to exclusively fish a 7'9" rod and since going longer, I'll never look back. For every instance where I wish I had a shorter rod, there's 5 where I'm glad I have a longer rod. Let's just say that I no longer fish any of my shorter rods anymore. 8'9" is the shortest rod I fish and I wish it were 3" longer. I do fish some tiny speck streams and just have no use for a shorter rod.

Keep in mind, I don't always fish the same way most folks on the board do. There's none of this no wading, long delicate presentations, hugging the banks stuff for me. I wade right in and high stick dry flies through the runs. I'm far more concerned about getting a perfect drift the first time a fly passes over a fish.

Works for me. Your results may vary.
I feel that 200$ slipping away for the longer version. I've been making excuses to not get it for 2 months now. To many times I've hit a spot where that extra reach would allow me to high stick over a run and keep my fly from getting yanked out of a pocket.

Sounds like we fish the same way. I'm rarely standing on dry land. Standing in waist deep water with my eyeballs barely able to see over the rock I'm hiding behind, I look like I'm stalking my prey instead of fishing.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Float On View Post
To many times I've hit a spot where that extra reach would allow me to high stick over a run and keep my fly from getting yanked out of a pocket.
I agree with Buzz 1000%. I used to fish with a 7'6" TFO on small streams and a 9' St. Croix Avid on tailwaters. But once I started using the 9' on small streams I never went back. Although getting a fly into the right spot is important, what the fly does when its on the water is even more important. A perfect cast into a tea cup is great, but if it immediately turns into a motor boat it won't catch many fish. A long rod affords you more opportunity to control your drift in tight spots than a short rod would any day. My $0.02

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 08-24-2013, 09:00 PM

9' 4wt Winston BIIt.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:07 AM

Like most of us I have too many rods and not enough days to fish them all...for the smaller "cricks" I love to fish my Orvis original one ounce...6'6" 2 wt....smallest of my rods but have caught my two largest fish in the park on it...a 14" brown and a 16" bow...at the other end is my Orvis Helios...8'4" 3wt...
Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM

8'6", 5-wt TFO. But I fish Wooly Buggers often, and I like the versatility of a 5-wt rod. If I fished top water only, I'd use a shorter 3-wt rod, especially on the smaller streams.