Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-17-2013, 10:16 AM

I don't know if you read thefiberglassmanifest.com or not, but Cameron does an excellent job at keeping us updated on new glass that's coming out. One of the trends he predicted at the beginning of the year, and we're starting to see already, is more glass in the 9' range while still holding the 5wt line rating. I'm sure you know, as a fan of glass, that when you start getting into the 9' range the rods start getting into that 7/8wt rating. That's changing as they're finding new ways to make glass longer and lighter.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Sasquatch View Post
I don't know if you read thefiberglassmanifest.com or not, but Cameron does an excellent job at keeping us updated on new glass that's coming out. One of the trends he predicted at the beginning of the year, and we're starting to see already, is more glass in the 9' range while still holding the 5wt line rating. I'm sure you know, as a fan of glass, that when you start getting into the 9' range the rods start getting into that 7/8wt rating. That's changing as they're finding new ways to make glass longer and lighter.

yeah i here that and i can't wait. i really like glass rods
Old 08-17-2013, 07:28 PM

Hardy apparently has a 9' 5wt for around $400.00
Old 08-19-2013, 02:02 PM

I have really enjoyed reading this topic, and it is one that I have thought about a lot. I particularly enjoyed "grumpy's" comment, how true. I think that much of it is about skill. I have done some competition shooting in the past, both IPSC and USPSA. I started out with a stock Colt Government model and saw many shooting with custom guns in the thousands. For me the limiting factor was always myself (i.e. the gun I was shooting was always more accurate than me the shooter!). Having said that I eventually bought a Wilson Combat Pistol and man have I enjoyed that gun. Fly fishing is the same way. Here is what I have come to over time when talking to a new fly fisherman.

My thoughts would be to get some casting instruction first, get the correct technique down, and then once you have developed your casting style cast several rods/brands to find which you like the most. If you are just starting out, keep in mind that you may want a rod that you can grow into some. In my own personal experience, I start with an inexpensive rod, then end up wanting and getting one of the better rods. I have had great experiences with both Sage and Orvis rods. My first Orvis rod was purchased in 1990, and Orvis has replaced that rod due to me breaking it 4 times and it still works great. Sage makes some really nice rods, but their repairs have really been a little problematic lately. I have not thrown a lot of TFO rods, I fished a 12 wt a couple of times for cobia several years back and it worked just fine, but I do not have much experience with them. Get a rod that you cast well and that is in your price range, you can go inexpensive on the reel for a trout rod, but do not skimp on the fly line. Cheap fly line can make the best rod hard to cast.

John
Old 08-24-2013, 08:56 PM

If you like a medium to slow action rod (my favorite action type) you really should cast a Winston BIIt and a Scott G2. Expensive? yes but casting them is a joy. Scott G2 9' 5wt is the favorite rod in my stable followed closely by the Winston BIIt 9' 4wt.

Jeff
Old 09-02-2013, 10:48 PM

Default Low vs High dollar rods.

I'm with Grumpy too! That said though, a rod in hand ,on the stream is a good rod....
There can be subtle differences in the high dollar rods, and we Americans are suckers for labels.... That said; I love my Scott G's and STS's! But I'd fish with any other rod, if that was what I had. As the saying goes; "the fish will never know".
The thing to justify the high dollar rods, or make them feasible are the warranties. You should get a lifetime warranty for the high dollar rod, that is a large factor in the high cost. You could buy three of four TFO's for the price of some of the desirable rods, though. I guess in the end, find one you like and fish it, learn how to use it, takes time for most of us... If you like the pretty rods and fly fishing is your passion, then it's your business if you choose to blow some cash on a rod (and reel)... or two!
Tight lines,
John
Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
BINGO!

It's also important that we don't equate low cost with "cheap", nor do we equate high cost with quality.

Well said Sasquatch, i still have my first $700 rod that i bought in 01. The cork right under my thumb came out within a month, no problem other than quality, fixed & still fish it today.
I've never had cork problems with TFO or Cortland rods

Grumpy
Old 09-03-2013, 12:14 PM

I hear you! I do a lot of small stream fishing w/ an old Eagle Claw Featherlight and an old Martin 66 click pawl reel. The "combo" probably cost me around $30!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I hear you! I do a lot of small stream fishing w/ an old Eagle Claw Featherlight and an old Martin 66 click pawl reel. The "combo" probably cost me around $30!
I love that rod. Always have one as a spare to my spare and tend to give them to friends i introduce. I still find them for $20 brand new. 6'6 that i load with a 4-5wt. Fun, little rod. It's the rod my 17 year old daughter loves. Nicknamed it the Bumblebee...

Now, are expensive rods worth it

It all depends......
Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 PM

I find myself being too simplistic at times, but I find rods to be like everything else. Multiple variations and niches that add or subtract to the price. I own a TFO, have fished a Sage, Orvis, GL Loomis, and a Bass Pro. They all casted the fly where I wanted and were able to retrieve the fish.
To me a good rod is a simple as
1. Can I use it
2. Do I enjoy it
With that being said give me a stick, some line and a fly and I will still have a good time.