Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-17-2013, 05:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default browns indowntown maryville??..

I took my kids over to the Spring Brook Park off of Montvale Station Rd to play today and once again wondered about trout in the small stream over there. I know that there are none in there...yet... Its a spring fed stream, 60 degrees this afternoon. It has good vegetation, under cut banks, deep riffles, and a ton of minnows. In PA (and a number of other states) this would totally be a brown trout fishery. The stream is perfect, of course I do not know the PH levels and some other factors, but it looks perfect. How awesome would it be to have a catch and release, artificial only trout stream in down town Maryville..?
Old 08-17-2013, 06:50 PM

The water quality isn't very good for that stream....
Old 08-18-2013, 01:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

someone else had mentioned that to me. I believe it farther down the stream towards Maryville. But in that first 2 miles or so, the vegetation, insects, and tons of fish make me think otherwise... I have heard the section coming from Alcoa, under Washington St is non habitable for most life... But it also comes from a different source. You really have 3 did pieces of water. The water above the green belt lake, the water below green belt lake, and the water coming from under Washington Pike..
Old 08-18-2013, 05:33 PM

Default Mossy Creek In Jefferson City

Mossy Creek in Jefferson City is a hugh spring run. In fact, during the Yankee War of Conquest, the town was known as Mossy Creek. The spring is located on the south side of US 11E outside of Jefferson City when you are leaving what used to be outskirts of town going in the direction of Morristown. I trying to remember off of the top of my head, but as I recall the spring puts out an astonishing 25,000,000 gallons of water a day. I've seen trout in the moss beds right at the spring that were 20-inches long.

The creek meanders around the campus at Carson-Neuman, right behind the stadfium in fact. It empties into Cherokee Lake. The embayment used to be a real good place for stripers when these fish heat stressed during hot weather.

Any who, the creek is a death trap to wade. Much of its bottom is a lattice of big roots that will either trip you or trap you. The trout are spooky too. Not many people know about the trout there. The state ignores it because of urban ground water run-off that can shoot the water temperature up during summer thunder storms. No one seems to know who put (or puts) trout in Mossy Creek.

An interesting thing about the spring. It actually surfaces upstream in Hamblen County near Talbott. I hiked into it once with Jim Claiborne, the local historian. He calls the "world's shortest river." Down in a briar covered revine the creek comes out of the ground and goes about 75 yards before going back in the ground. Quite weird looking sight. Jim told me put dye in the flow once, and an hour or so later the dye showed itself at the Mossy Creek Spring. Hi ho
Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 AM

Default Pearson Springs Park?

I'm assuming that you meant Pistol Creek which runs through Pearson Springs Park in Maryville (off of Montvale Stations Rd).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
I know that there are none in there...
A certain fly fishing former football coach that lives upstream of the park on that stream actually used to stock his section of the stream with a dozen or more 12"-14" trout every year (at least up until 2004 - not sure if he still does). I was at his house one day when he was feeding them and when I asked him if he ever tried fishing for them, he smiled and said "I fish the h*ll out of 'em"...

Although this year the water may be 60F, most years it is much warmer in the Summer months and his trout would die off. The water quality of Pistol Creek is also quite poor. It suffers from siltation issues and high levels of E.Coli

I live about 5 mins walking distance from the stream and man I wish it had trout.....Although I would probably never get any work done...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."