Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-25-2013, 12:11 PM

Thumbs up

Not bad for your first brown in the park .

That was one exciting trip. The planets aligned for us.

As he said the day was really just intended to do some scouting work. We were just pull off hopping looking for the deep holes and I was showing him some spots that I've seen the browns spawn in the fall. We rolled around to a spot that I've seen fish in before but I honestly thought it was cause. You can see the fish but its very hard to catch them. We saw a couple of small browns and a bunch of rainbows and figured why not try to catch one. I was working the tail of the run and Brownie was up toward the top of the run. I bet we were there for about 10 minutes before Brownie realized "that isn't a log on the bottom". When he took the worm and spit it out I was for sure it was over. He kept on trying so I thought it best to quit fishing and just watch him work. Would have been my luck to catch a 6" rainbow and it run up and spook that brown. The "Magic Medusa" worked and the fight was on. A couple of times I was worried that fish would break him off in the rocks and when he went in that deep hole I just knew it was over. But then he just shot out and started jumping around. I went to grab my net but realized it to small. Brownie was working the fish and I was trying to detach his net. I had to scale down a small wall (that wall if full of snakes btw) to get to the water and I just sat and waited. The brown refused the net a few times but when he finally went in, I was relieved. I was like a kid on Christmas morning looking in that net to see what present Brownie had in that net.

Congrats to Brownie on one great fight and one very exciting day for me. I wasn't the guy on the end of the rod but I felt just as proud to be a part of it. I only had to crawl thru one snake to net it but I would have crawled thru 10 if I had to.

I say mission accomplished. Brownie caught the big brown and I ended the day with my first grand slam. I'd say its going to the first of many good trips to the park.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Thanks again FloatOn great netting skills
Old 08-25-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
WOW! What a fish!!!
Thanks bud, how is the interviewing going?
Old 08-25-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glecleir View Post
Awesome fish... congratulations! I am always amazed how some of you can spot fish in the stream. I have tried several times to sight fish for trout in the Smokies and I quickly get frustrated because I can't see anything! I have reasonable vision and good polarized sunglasses, but I have never seen a big brown like that. Is there anything you are keying in on? Once again, awesome fish and thanks for sharing.
You just have to look at the area for a long time and let thing come into focus and then look for a tell tale sign , in this case the white of the mouth as it opened and closed, sometimes the red on a fin or the yellow of the belly. Once you start spotting fish it becomes easier as your brain starts to know what to look for, thats what I think anyway .
Old 08-25-2013, 01:26 PM

Great fish. Absolutely beautiful, and a keeper photo.

I'd love to catch one of those in the Smokies. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:36 PM

Ah...I just recognized where you are...I can't believe you caught a fish there.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Seriously... Nice job.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I think the only person I have seen catch a fish from that run is Mr. Knapp. Occasionally I will stop in there and give it a go, and almost always see somebody fishing in there.

Congratulations on a wonderful specimen.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-25-2013, 09:03 PM

Thanks for the congrats everyone you are a great group of guys and look forward to fishing with more of you in the future.Feel free to let me know if you are going out on the look out for browns this fall it's always great to fish with people of like minds
Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
I think the only person I have seen catch a fish from that run is Mr. Knapp. Occasionally I will stop in there and give it a go, and almost always see somebody fishing in there.

Congratulations on a wonderful specimen.
I've seen em holdin' there and just shook my head and walked on. I'm really not much of a fisherman. I do like to walk in nature though.