Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-13-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Maybe we can just hang out with our Indian friend after we fish Sunday. Does that count?
Absolutely.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Might smight I'll carry your backpack, shoot video and pics of you and heck will even give you most of the fresh water. That would give me an excuse to go all Horace Kephart and abandone my family. While I don't normally drink we could even go on a bender if you want
Call it "a tasting" and it sounds much better than a bender.

I'm planning an eight man back country trip in November and we're having a whiskey tasting. Each of us is packing in a fifth to ensure we have an amount to properly judge the entries.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:39 AM

Matt, if eight's company, would 9 be a crowd?
Breck, I also have Jim's book but was wanting some more info the
other day and wanted to check in and see how he was doing. I went to
his website and used the email contact link there, he replied to me
within a couple of days. I'm sure he would give you some more specific
advice if you ask.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
Matt, if eight's company, would 9 be a crowd?
Breck, I also have Jim's book but was wanting some more info the
other day and wanted to check in and see how he was doing. I went to
his website and used the email contact link there, he replied to me
within a couple of days. I'm sure he would give you some more specific
advice if you ask.
Hey Bran, with the "SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS" rangers out and about waking hikers up before 8; I don't think we'll want to be hiding a 9th member while looking for our permits and nursing a hangover. A Nature's Coffee Kettle and enough refills for 6 gallons of coffee will be packed for the aforementioned hangovers.

Depending on our route some of the sites will hold 10 (I'm leaning towards Clingman's->Forney Ridge->Noland). The excursion will consist of 7 micks and a kraut so ye olde Irish is the menu.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:28 AM

Default Hazel

Hey Breck, good luck on Hazel. Thanks for your posts, glad you are getting a chance to fish a new creek. if you want to know more about the Hazel creek area contact Duane Oliver. Google him or try Duane Oliver www. smokymountainnews. com. He has a room full of books to send you. The angling writers have a good fix on the history, but he lived there. If you can hike up to Calhoun campsite you will catch fish on a parachute fly with an orange or yellow body. Or try a size twelve parachute adams.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Johnson View Post
Hey Breck, good luck on Hazel. Thanks for your posts, glad you are getting a chance to fish a new creek. if you want to know more about the Hazel creek area contact Duane Oliver. Google him or try Duane Oliver www. smokymountainnews. com. He has a room full of books to send you. The angling writers have a good fix on the history, but he lived there. If you can hike up to Calhoun campsite you will catch fish on a parachute fly with an orange or yellow body. Or try a size twelve parachute adams.
Rob, Thank You. After reading your post started to look as you advised and came across this great read on Horace Kephart. Thank you.

http://www.smokymountainnews.com/component/k2/item/11757-kephart-s-life-after-hazel-creek

Breck
Old 09-27-2013, 06:49 PM

Default try this

I talked to Duane Oliver today. He says his book "Hazel Creek From Then Till Now" is for sale at the visitor center shops in GSMNP. I did not see any at Sugarlands 2 weeks ago. If you live near Waynesville, you can just stop by and see him he says. He has several titles so tell him that is the one you want. His cookbooks actually have some great history and rememberances as well. Send a check for 12 dollars and your mail info to: Duane Oliver 558 Westwood Circle. Waynesville, NC 28786. He will sign it for you if you want. If youare really interestd in the history of Hazel Creek, you will like this book. Hope your trip goes well.