Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-20-2013, 08:38 AM

Here's one I found from earlier this summer.
Its not me, its a buddy of mine, hence the disguise to protect the innocent....since most think striper fishermen are scum of the earth.

Last edited by Grannyknot; 09-08-2014 at 12:28 PM..
Old 09-20-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2bfishin View Post
About two weeks ago, we saw the same kind of activity between Peach Orchard and the bridge. We were catching a few rainbows, including a couple of nice fish, on wooly buggers and BPHTs, but we were also surprised at how many “wolf packs” of 3 or more stripers we saw cruising in very shallow water. A few minutes after having a group of three large fish come within oar’s length of the boat before spooking, I caught a 12’ stocker, which we decided was the perfect size for striper bait. We rigged it on a bait caster with a balloon and let it swim down stream. Soon after, we saw the group of three heading in the direction of the bait.

After a few more minutes, the balloon started moving around nervously. The little trout went airborne trying to escape, but was followed by a huge wake. The fight was on. About 15 or 20 minutes later, I finally brought this 40 lb., 44 inch monster to the boat.

Who knew that saving the lives of trout (expect the one used as bait, of course) would be so much fun?
I am going to have to get out there with the Dr. and learn to striper fish. Nice fish and good job landing! I have yet to land a striper on a fly rod. I will have to give it a try this weekend if the crew cooperates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
Here's one I found from earlier this summer.
Its not me, its a buddy of mine, hence the disguise to protect the innocent....since most think striper fishermen are scum of the earth.

Man, that is a huge fish! I could imagine your arms were exhausted after landing that monster.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-20-2013, 10:49 PM

Like Grannyknot said in his post, for the record, this fish was not caught on the fly. It was hard enough getting it in with a bait caster. I can't even imagine landing one like that on a fly rod!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 AM

Okay;

Corbo is late to this striper party! Has anyone any idea if they are still around?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:16 PM

I've been seeing several stripers caught around peach orchard over the last few weeks.

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 08-11-2014, 05:55 PM

They are as thick this year as when Rocky posted this earlier…right in the hole at Peach orchard ramp several are in the forty to perhaps fifty pound range. I have called all the striper guys l know and begged them to come up there and work them over. I have seen them bust trout throughout the entire length of the river from 75 bridge down. Somebody put a come and gettum post on Tndeer Forum and a bunch of folks came fishing for them but there are still hundreds or more there.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:36 AM

The lower Clinch has been fishing bad for the last 2yrs.
IMO-The stripers are the primary culprit.
The lower Soho is fishing poorly as well.
Sadly, gone are the glory days us old- timers once knew.

4X
Old 08-18-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourx View Post
The lower Clinch has been fishing bad for the last 2yrs.
IMO-The stripers are the primary culprit.
The lower Soho is fishing poorly as well.
Sadly, gone are the glory days us old- timers once knew.

4X
YES, Lower clinch hasn't been the "good" since 2010-11 IMO
YES
YES

Its sad, I didn't know that about the South Holston. Wonder what it'll take for them to admit its a problem and actually do something?
TU - clinch river doesn't think its affecting Trout much at all last time I asked them. I was told that the amount of stocked trout far surpasses the amount taken by stripers and that trout fisherman wouldn't really notice a difference. I disagree and feel its certainly gotten worse of the past couple years. I'm sure there are some other variables in this equation, but like 4x stated I feel the Stripers are the main culprit. If anyone here is heavily active in the Clinch chapter of TU feel free to offer opinions.

Thanks

FWIW - I do have friends that are targetting them and I encourage them to KILL em ALL

><>

Last edited by Wilson10; 08-18-2014 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-18-2014, 10:00 PM

I think we should have a dedicated river cleanup weekend where all concerned trout fisherman try to catch and keep/kill their limit of stripers... I am seriously contemplating going to my traditional trout waters (which also have been down the past two years) and trying to eliminate some of those wolves from the food chain!

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-19-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
I think we should have a dedicated river cleanup weekend where all concerned trout fisherman try to catch and keep/kill their limit of stripers... I am seriously contemplating going to my traditional trout waters (which also have been down the past two years) and trying to eliminate some of those wolves from the food chain!

Travis,

Just let me know when you wanna go. Give me a call

><>